Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 4D Chess?

Author Topic: 4D Chess?
Gloom
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for Gloom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2D chess was designed to teach strategy. As combat became 3D in space, the game was adapted. Now that time travel is a commonly used plot device, don't you think they should have 4D chess? Where you move your pieces back and forwards through "time"? [Big Grin]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds very cool! I'd like to have heard a mention on the Relativity to a game of 4d chess! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidentally, Diane Duane describes 4D chess in her books. The pieces don't move backwards in time, but they do move forward - you can "phase out" a piece in a move, scheduling it to "phase in" again at a given turn. Thus, you can do some "time on target" bombarding, so that at some later stage of the game, you actually perform several moves per turn: moving a piece, AND phasing in a number of other pieces. There must be some limitations to that, but they aren't enumerated in the books. Nor is it known what happens when a piece tries to phase in atop another piece, of same or opposing color.

Our Trek heroes (notably, McCoy!) do this with 3D chess and time. But it should be doable with 2D chess and time, creating a fancy form of "3D chess" for us to enjoy.

Timo Saloniemi

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like the sort of game Douglas Adams would have invented.

"Bishop to Knight 6 - Yesterday afternoon: Check (tomorrow teatime)"

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nor is it known what happens when a piece tries to phase in atop another piece, of same or opposing color.

Yes, it is. In one book (I forget which), McCoy defeats Spock, playing, as Spock puts it, "Kamikaze Chess, Doctor?" The pieces simply annihilate each other with a small burst on energy. Later, they re-wire the game console to blow up invading Romulans.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to make a joke here, but really, it's funny if left alone.

Or: "And then Macauley Culkin leaves out tribbles so that Romulans Jo P'sy and D'nl St'rn are foiled in their takeover plot."

Or something.

Star Trek books are quite possibly the only things worth reading in this day and age.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. Thank you for reminding me.

The book was "My Enemy, My Ally."

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm.
Chess with telefragging.

Fascinating.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Black Rook tried to invade White King's personal space"

Oh man. The strategies!

[ June 30, 2003, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind, someone already beat me to it... [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps