Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » "It is green..." (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "It is green..."
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I'm in the midst of building the AMT Warbird even as this thread began, I have done some research for my own references and I've found that two variants do exist, although I don't know if modifications were made to one model or if another was built.

Two things I've definitely found on version 2 that were not on the original was the claw-like structures on the forward underside of the main hull, and the linear details on the outboard warp nacelles. Just thought I'd share.

My Warbird model will be version 1.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. Although I knew about the claw inconsistency, I hadn't noticed that detail on the nacelles before.

Anyway, it's pretty clear now that the AMT model is based on the original appearance/miniature of the Warbird.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the grey DS9-ship from "The Die is Cast", with claws. If there are two different models instead of one, it would explain their return.

-

And I think the additional applications on the nacelles are one of the most notable changes. At least it was the first thing I noticed. [Smile]

I've had a close look at the CGI-Warbird and ironically I think the CG-team worked from the drawings from the Encyclopedia and later DS9TM instead of the actual model. Most notably the real Warbird has an asymetrical tail (my second attempt) while the official image's tail is completely symmetrical (first attempt). The CGI-Warbird has a symmetrical tail. Furthermore, the nose section's lower end seems to be split up and curved backwards a little. And the nacelles got the "Eaves-touch" (longer and sharper). All these little details tell me that Foundation did not have access to the shooting model (and I do not think that it was ment to be a minor redress; if that's the case, they would have put in more detail. This thing was ment for background shooting only).

-

Do you think it's the right gree color? I'm pretty sure I got the overall green right, but the darker areas look fake. Maybe it's just me, but... I don't know. Suggestions?

[ July 22, 2003, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Cpt. Kyle Amasov ]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hadn't really noticed the pronounced difference in the tail section before, I've never built a CG version of the ship, only the AMT model kit which had a symetrical tail end. You live and learn, eh? [Smile]

Colour on a model is a very relative thing. Speaking as a CG artist I know first-hand how much ambient lighting and surroundings effect how a ship looks, often I'll colour a ship as i think it looks in the drawings or series only to find it looks wrong when lit in context in a scene. I studied some of Greg Jiens shuttle models and noted the slightly yellow colouring, yet the minute you stick it under bright lights the specularity and glossiness cause it to turn almost white. I think when it comes to colour, in the absence of the real shooting model anyway, your guess is about as good as anybody elses.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colour? I'd personally make it a little lighter and maybe add a touch of brown to the mix. Actually, the darker colour you're using in the recessed areas would probably be perfect for the overall/main colour if it was lightened up. Am I making any sense?

BTW, is it just me or are the Warbirds from "Die is Cast" just as green as the rest?

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
id read up on probert's and the modelmakers design.. seems to me i recall this ship being greenish but not really being green, but showing up on screen looking green so its referred to as green forever after.. just like the artists wanted the 1701D to be blue and it came out grey on screen
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:
I hadn't really noticed the pronounced difference in the tail section before, I've never built a CG version of the ship, only the AMT model kit which had a symetrical tail end.

Actually, the AMT kit is surprisingly accurate as far as I can tell. The tail section IS NOT symmetrical...it definitely has the little upward curve to it as seen in Cpt. Kyle's revised diagram.

Cpt. Kyle, would it benefit you drawing to have pics of the AMT warbird pieces, even though my model is not all together yet?

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could the apparent color difference between the real big Warbirds be the same as with the miniature? The miniature is dark grey for all I know, and becomes green through the lighting. Maybe it's possible that the Warbird is sometimes self-lighted with green spotlights and sometimes not.

The "authentic color" of the schematic would depend on that. I would suggest that the "pale" variant of the Warbird (if this is a color variant) is actually still green, but looks grey simply because it's dark.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Bernd, a low saturation green/grey would look best.
Here's a sample gradiant of what I might use.

-

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Here's a sample gradiant of what I might use.

I like. That's reasonably close to how I painted my AMT model. If only I had a digital camera.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.