Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 2250s Destroyer WIP (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 2250s Destroyer WIP
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again a never seen before design approach. Great!

I'd go with the two-nacelled version, with the nacelle struts slightly running upward.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
Once again a never seen before design approach. Great!

I'd go with the two-nacelled version, with the nacelle struts slightly running upward.

Well, it's not entirely new. I took the head off of Pyotr Velikiy, the forward bridge off of Paris and the secondary hull off Al-Burak. But I like the slightly snaky look of this ship.

I think I will have both types, however.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a ruler on me to figure out howbig the saucer is, but for a 160 meters ship, it looks like the saucer is only a few decks thick. I hope it's not going to have everything inside including the kitchen sink inside. If you do, I estimate less than a dozen could fit confortably inside Starfleet style (though if it went Navy style you could fit a good 100 people inside).

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
I don't have a ruler on me to figure out howbig the saucer is, but for a 160 meters ship, it looks like the saucer is only a few decks thick. I hope it's not going to have everything inside including the kitchen sink inside. If you do, I estimate less than a dozen could fit confortably inside Starfleet style (though if it went Navy style you could fit a good 100 people inside).

Yup. It is a very small ship internally. Most of the length comes from the nacelles, which are, of course, uninhabitable. I'm thinking of scaling it up a bit, but I wanted this ship to have a small head and long legs.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:

Yup. It is a very small ship internally. Most of the length comes from the nacelles, which are, of course, uninhabitable. I'm thinking of scaling it up a bit, but I wanted this ship to have a small head and long legs.

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Small ships are more of a challenge to design. I see two full decks with living space in the saucer, plus the bridge. The deflector would be most likely uninhabitable (meaning there would be only Jefferies tubes). The neck and secondary hull would be entirely occupied by fuel storage and a small engineering area.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Makotokat
Member # 1041

- posted      Profile for Makotokat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool Masao! Love the design idea! Would you mind if I made a 3D model from the design, You're initial designs interest me greatly, especially the nacelles. Maybe some illuminated venting between the fins at the back of the nacelle.....Have you considered inverting her (nacelles above the primary hull?)

Makotokat

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

quote:
Originally posted by Makotokat:
Very cool Masao! Love the design idea! Would you mind if I made a 3D model from the design, You're initial designs interest me greatly, especially the nacelles. Maybe some illuminated venting between the fins at the back of the nacelle.....Have you considered inverting her (nacelles above the primary hull?)

Makotokat

1. Sure, go ahead. I'm working on the final schematics now.
2. The nacelles were from a design by Jason Colbert. I just "liberated" them. Mess with them as you'd like.
3. I haven't considered that!

--------------------

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Thanks my friend! I don't feel busy unless i've got about 5 projects on the go and this one looks pretty interesting! I might add a little texture detail as I go but I'll keep true. BTW I finally found where my D2 files went and I look forward to finishing texturing her (nacelles are about all I need to do now but they're tricky)

Makotokat

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inversion would look...very bad. Yes.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack! A straight inversion would be a VERY bad idea! If there were a rearrangement of the sections, then possibly... but then it'd end up looking much more like the Paris class.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Not a straight inversion no.....Move the shuttlebay under the hull flaring out from the deflector housing, then a low neck fluting into a engineering pod....let me try the original first
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I see what you mean... however, IMO that arrangement would be (as I said) too similar to the earlier Paris-class light cruiser that Masao designed about a year ago. One of Masao's traits that make him such an excellent designer is his desire to have as much variety as possible for the different classes. (Barring, of course, those obvious kitbashes where such kitbashing is intentional and considered. [Wink] )

But who knows? It might be worth considering... though I think I'd still prefer the current configuration. It's more traditional, and also specifically related to the well-known FJ Saladin class -- even though the ships aren't supposed to have anything really in common, anyway...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Well I've got the saucer done so far as bridge, shuttlebay, torpedo mounts, and deflector pod (still need to add dish to it though)and she looks like a good start! I'll start out with Masao's original design and build her up. I'm still a little leary of those nacelle struts mind....so I might modify them a bit, more TOS-ish. I'll post a pic of the progress tomorrow.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Here's the updated schematic: Two-nacelle destroyer (304 kb)

I'm had trouble with the deflector mount. It's similar to the one on my Pyotry Velikiy class but doesn't extent as far forward. Maybe a modeler can help hash out the details there.

I'm working on the single nacelle version right now.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.