Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Design a Tholian! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Design a Tholian!
Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking that maybe since the Tholians spin webs that they may either be akin to crystal spiders or that they inhabit a world with arachnid species. If the second is true I would say that they are hands-free, but have a symbiotic relationship with the arachnids who act as their hands and feet while the Tholian acts as the brain.
I would post an image but I don't want to go through the task of finding space.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
space for a pic to post...

CC has taken car of that...

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/cgi2/uploader.cgi

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What in the world makes you think Tholians themselves spin webs?
"Tholian Silk" is just silk from Tholia....just like there's probably "Terran Root Beer". [Wink]
If you're basing the "webspinning" thing on their ships capabilities, you must also think Romulans are invisible bird creatures. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
And the new Peter David novel "Gods Above" speculates that they look like bunny rabbits in pink tutus.

It also features Santa Claus in a central role. I *warmly* recommend it.

Finnish humor or does it really?
To be completely truthful, the rabbits in tutus speculation is merely by one of the characters. (To spoil a little, it's by the generally level-headed Shelby. The resident level-head-in-chief Soleta is busy having sex with a baboon. Or a guy with the head of an ibis bird, depending on whether you believe Peter David or Daniel Jackson on this. Perhaps it is for the best that the novel is not a graphic medium.) The book gives no absolute confirmation about the tutu thing one way or the other.

But yes, Santa is decisive to the outcome of the plot. The deeper theological message of the book seems to be that disbelieving in gods is the way to ultimate triumph, as long as Santa remains on your side.

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
What in the world makes you think Tholians themselves spin webs?

"The Sundered" probably.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not assuming Tholians spin webs themselves, or have anything to do with spiders, I'm just following a line of thought that has possibility. Since we've seen Romulans I now know that they aren't cloaking bird creatures... but before seeing them couldn't the possibility go through someones head. That's the problem with todays Trek aliens, they're all humaniod and you can always assume that when you see some ship cruise up to the Enterprise, or Voyager, or DS9 they'll have ridges on their nose and stand on two feet. I'm just trying to think beyond these suppositions. Tholians are not humanoid so they must interact with their world differently, maybe they have enslaved every species of their world or completely obliterated everything. Each of these theories speakes to what the Tholians could look like.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that Tholians should not be humaniods but I really hate the idea of aliens being intilligent earth animals more.
It's just poor imagination to think "I know what's really radical: Spider creatures! Cat Creatures! Dog Creatures! Wow! Best of all! Dinosaours were intelligent and went into space!
Duh.
There's plenty of possibilities that have never been done on Trek before resorting to animal shapes and characteristics. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I agree that Tholians should not be humaniods but I really hate the idea of aliens being intilligent earth animals more.

a bug that thinks!? i find the very concept insulting..

but having the tholians be crystalline, and spinning material isnt much like any terran creature.. i find it more distasteful that the tholians are one of trek's few non-humanoid spacies, and having people try and theorize that maybe they are humanoid after all (like the DC comics where they had crystal heads as seen in TOS, but with little crystal arms and legs).. i prefer the shane johnson worlds of the federation 'floating crystal' appearance better, but even more favorable is something other than those two.. (possibly a crystal multiple 'spider leg' setup or some sort of wind chime looking support base are my favorites.. for some reason i alway liken the tholian's appearance to the description of k't'lk the hamalki from duane's novels, a big crystal spider/wind chime hybrid)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I share Mic's distaste for animalised aliens, it's a very lazy and unimaginative approach.

However, if a Tholian does have legs, this is what it might look like.
 -
I did my best not to make it look too spidery, or crabby, but some of that is unavoidable with a design like this.

Maybe next I'll draw an encounter suit version for the Ambassador that visited DS9.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Not only does that look cool as hell but he's the ultimate breakdancer! [Big Grin]

Great Job, Rev!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One Tholian Ambassador in his enviromental suit, comming right up!

-

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh! Nice work on those pleats. Did you draw them?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can almost hear the ambassador from Tholia spouting cryptic lines like "truth is a spun web, if you are not carefull you could get intangled."

or

"Do not go to Nimbus III or you will die."

Jokes aside, good work. I like the green coloring of the ambassador.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I can see the Tholian Ambassador ending all his sentences with "....or you will die." [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Oooh! Nice work on those pleats. Did you draw them?
Yup. They're not really that complicated, just a bunch of overlapping boxes with the corners slightly rounded. The secret is in the gradient.

I am aware of the blindingly obvious similarities to the Kosh suit and I'd be lying if I said it was entirely unintentional.
For a while I was thinking about making the suit blue, but I decided that a metalic green would look better and more Tholian somehow. Don't ask me why, perhaps because the Tholian silk was a metalic green colour.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps