Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 2270's Romulan Warbird (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2270's Romulan Warbird
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like how this design is shaping up, Kris! But I think that it's a bit early to start working in such a wide gap between the dorsal and ventral engineering hulls. I'd suggest moving the lower one up closer to the upper part, and to also include a much larger engine core section right in the circular middle area. So basically it would be double nacelle pylons instead of a double engineering hull.

Considering that advanced warp drive is what the Romulans are supposed to have gotten from the Klingons, I think they should have a somewhat bulkier engineering section and not start evolving the double hull quite yet.

But aside from that, this is looking pretty cool! I can see all the elements from the old Bird-of-Prey, the D7, and the Warbird in it. (Which I'm sure was the intention. [Wink] )

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE

A little more detail and slightly better colouring.
 -
A crossection and scale comparison.
 -

quote:
I really like how this design is shaping up, Kris! But I think that it's a bit early to start working in such a wide gap between the dorsal and ventral engineering hulls. I'd suggest moving the lower one up closer to the upper part, and to also include a much larger engine core section right in the circular middle area. So basically it would be double nacelle pylons instead of a double engineering hull.
It's not technically a double engineering hull, since I intend to have the lower section to be mainly used as a hanger/cargo deck.
As for jumping ahead a bit in the evolution from RBoP to D'Deradex (sp?) you're right, it is.
IF you see starship evolution as a linear process.
I don't.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean about the non-linear evolution, Kris...

But I'm also thinking that that the M/AM reactor would be too bulky to fit in those relatively small spaces, especially considering that the Romulans are building their first successful home-grown antimatter reactor (depending on how you look at it).

I also think it would make the ship look a little sleeker and menacing... though come to think of it, you're somewhat restricted by the K't'inga's nacelle size, aren't you? Well, I still think there should be a bit of an enlargement... maybe some kind of small section that's "hanging" inside the middle empty space, to give a bit more internal volume in the upper section -- you could still keep the overall appearance.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could be the first ship to use the singularity drive.
Possibly all those fields needed to contain the micro singularity contribute to the ship's SIF?

Either that or install a EVA basketball court in there.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But I'm also thinking that that the M/AM reactor would be too bulky to fit in those relatively small spaces, especially considering that the Romulans are building their first successful home-grown antimatter reactor (depending on how you look at it).

I also think it would make the ship look a little sleeker and menacing... though come to think of it, you're somewhat restricted by the K't'inga's nacelle size, aren't you? Well, I still think there should be a bit of an enlargement... maybe some kind of small section that's "hanging" inside the middle empty space, to give a bit more internal volume in the upper section -- you could still keep the overall appearance.

If you look at the latest update, I have increased the volume of the twin hulls slightly.
Howerver, bear in mind that this is a Klingon reactor and that if it's small enough to fit inside a K'tinga or D-7 then there's plenty of room in this ship.

quote:
This could be the first ship to use the singularity drive.
Possibly all those fields needed to contain the micro singularity contribute to the ship's SIF?

Not at this stage since they're using a Klingon reactor/propultion system.
Also I think Sternbach's singularity article had the D'deradex being the first to carry that system.
UPDATE

More detail and the beginnings of the front view.

-
Plus a scale chart.
Scale Chart

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the side view, the lower part of the command module reminds me of the Excelsior secondary hull.

Quite like the design. The only thing I'd consider changing are the nacelles to something more original and unique to the Romulans. Why have the nacelles look the same as the K't'inga when everything else is somewhat different?

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just a gorgeous design. Somebody model this bad boy.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Quite like the design. The only thing I'd consider changing are the nacelles to something more original and unique to the Romulans. Why have the nacelles look the same as the K't'inga when everything else is somewhat different?
Because the whole point of this design is to show what the Romulans did with their new Klingon technology.
I will do another, evolutionary design that looks more Romulan at a later date.
If my intentions bear fruit then it'll be of the type that destroyed the Enterprise-C.

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very nice indeed. [Smile]

I'd like to see a pic of the Ent-C going down, so get modelling those of you who know how!! [Wink]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

UPDATE

More work done on the forward view, still quite a bit left to do though.

V'Teridex-Class Warbird

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.