Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Memory Alpha (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Memory Alpha
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you might remember this: http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/7/1232.html

A lot has happened in the meantime. MinutiaeMan and I got together to actually start building an open-source Star Trek encyclopedia. We very quickly decided to use existing software, since this would save an awful lot of time. We started out with TikiWiki, but that was a bit too overloaded with useless features, and a really cluttered look.

The site now runs on MediaWiki, the software behind the WikiPedia. It works like a charm, and looks a lot better.

Basically, Memory Alpha is striving to be a completely open source cooperative Star Trek reference database. Everyone can contribute and edit articles. And as far as we know, there has never been a similar Star Trek project on the web.

We feel the site is now ready for it's public beta, and we would like to invite you all to participate. The two of us have been setting up some basic rules, templates and examples, and I can say that it's already highly addictive [Smile]

URL: Memory Alpha (the rest is pretty self-explanatory)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but MinutiaeMan probably has a few things to say as well [Smile]

No.. it's not SPAM.. we're asking for betatesters. And no, it will not enlarge any part of your body

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa... you mean, whatever I write it will go into encyclopedia?

Wow [Smile]

That's... big [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also not spam because we're not posting this announcement on any other message board yet. We trust you guys the most in terms of Trek sensibility.

Basically, Harry and I have gotten the basic framework and most of the documentation for the website set up, but we now need to have a relatively small group of people who can help us get the ball rolling with actual new pages -- but people we can "trust" to be sensible when it comes to Trek information.

We're really still not sure where the line is going to be drawn in terms of canon and non-canon... but I believe that's covered in our read-me page for beta testers on the site. [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which, BTW, should really be read by everyone before contributing. Just browse around for a bit (especially in the supporting documents) to get an idea of how to contribute.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey now... surely more people than Red Admiral, Spike, and Kyle are interested in this stuff? Come on, people, get contributin'! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That's pretty nice. I think I may get around to contributing to that myself (assuming I can figure out how).

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

The "how" is the easy part. Just click Edit This Page on any existing page, or else click on a red link to create a new page. (Red links are just links to pages that haven't been created yet.)

Definitely read the FAQ and "Read Me" pages first to get a feel for things, but after that, just try it out! Since anyone can edit things, it's easy to fix mistakes. [Smile]

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I submitted a Wells-class entry. (Who didn't see that coming? [Wink] )

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*raises hand*

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You see, Kris, Krenim here is Flare's resident time-travel nut. As is evidenced by his name, which is the same as the everyone's favourite crazy timeline-messing aliens.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oooooooohhhh....

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! I did an entry for USS Destiny.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did an entry for myself!! [Smile]
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you considered adding information from novels and comics? With a proper indication of the source it shouldn't be too confusing.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

We're definitely including lists of novels and comics and stuff.

But as for integrating that with the entries for Trek television... the problem is that it'll be too easy for the uninitiated contributors and readers to misinterpret and start using that as evidence to support other stuff. And then we'll start getting all sorts of wild speculation and so forth... Plus there's the problem that Kirk would've lived for ten thousand years, Starfleet would have three million starships, and there would've been galactic armageddon happening somewhere every other month!

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.