Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 7-foot long scratchbuilt USS Enterprise (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 7-foot long scratchbuilt USS Enterprise
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A long-awaited update to the MSFM site:

John Tate's scratchbuilt Enterprise is finally up for all to see. The pictures do not do this one justice. It's just huge at over 7 feet in length!

Comments are welcome as always, but any detail nits should be tempered with the fact that it was constructed in the early 80's...you all know how much accurate reference material was around then!

It has undergone a few restorations over the years, but I still think it's gorgeous!

John's USS Enterprise

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's cool. And with 80's modeling techniques? SHEESH!

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truly amazing work: what the TOS E would have looked like with better cameras.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! That is AMAZING!!

I can't see anything that is off - what are some of the errors - if any!?! (I'm not an absolute expert on all the little Enterprise details).

This makes the Enterprise more REAL - and less fake than it does in the series (due to the way it's shot I guess)... That shot from under the saucer - is reminiscent of the shot of the E-refit passing over the camera in TMP and reused in TWOK.

Mind if I fiddle with it in Adobe?

Andrew

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit of playing around in Adobe:
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/44/halkaii.jpg

a scene from the original episode "Mirror, Mirror":

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/44/mirrormirror.jpg

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stunning. Simply stunning.

It cannot possibly get better than that [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great Andrew! The photos and chosen angles are mine. I try to capture some neat *as seen on TV* type of angles in addition to enough to get all the details. At this show in November I took 73 photos around the show but only about 16 were of stuff other than the Enterprise...my focus was photo documentation of John's model.

There will be a build-up article coming soon to the MSFM site. John's provided me with some old construction photos and I'll use a bunch more of the photos I took at the show.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice.
Hmm, there are three slots on his webpage under "Star Trek", only one of them filled with "Enterprise". What might the other two be, I wonder...
An ultra-detailed D7 or the BoP, perhaps?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely awesome. I wish I had that kind of time (and skill)...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

SoundEffect
Member # 926

Nim,

The way I set up the website, everyone has a table 3 cells wide. John's the only member who only has one model complete so it looks odd for that reason.

John has been talking of doing an in-scale K'Tinga class however....

--------------------
Stephen L.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well then, let's hope it's the Kronos One, with battle wounds.
What does "in-scale" mean in this context?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably, to scale with his E model.
SoundEffect
Member # 926

yes, what TSN said. 1/130 scale. Not too much to that scale, but the Monogram Maquis ship was done in 1/130!

Another of our members has a 1/130 Defiant Class already drawn out but needs some space and materials and I have has drawings for a 1/130 (almost 4ft) Oberth Class model for a while...again, no free time.

What I would like to do also is a 1/130 K-7 space station! That would be great!

John's contacted me about doing an in-scale Galileo 7 shuttle for his Enterprise.

--------------------
Stephen L.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're going to go big, do the Spacedock in 1/130th scale. Well's if you want a challenge...
WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'll do a 1/700 scale nanite.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps