Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Logos logos everywhere... (Part 2) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Logos logos everywhere... (Part 2)
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kris already did that banner, but in a slightly different form:
http://www.st-minutiae.com/academy/anthropology114A/House_Martok_.gif

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
no one did this logo:

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/44/k29.jpg

Looks like the model is on the motion control rig too...

What is this logo?

As an amazing coincidence, I just did those logos in Illustrator the other day!

It's the port and starboard symbols of the Bird of Prey that first showed up on Kruge's ship and adorned every BoP thereafter. I traced them in Illustrator from the AMT Bird of Prey kit decals. The Klingon writing is different on the two wings:

-

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably "left side" and "right side" in klingonese [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Left reads: "Do not step"
Right reads: "this means you!"

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Kris already did that banner, but in a slightly different form:
http://www.st-minutiae.com/academy/anthropology114A/House_Martok_.gif

That too.

As for the BOP signage, I once thought that a similar marking on Quo'nos One was the symbol of House Gorkon. On watching ST:VI I discovered that to be false given that the house symbol is clearly seen in the courtroom scene and looks nothing like it.
My bes guess is that these logos display the ship's name in pictorial form, somewhat akin to the old naval flags that served as communications in the fleets before the advent of signal lamps or radio.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An alternate DS9 emblem from a mug sold at New Eye Studio:
 -

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
My bes guess is that these logos display the ship's name in pictorial form, somewhat akin to the old naval flags that served as communications in the fleets before the advent of signal lamps or radio.

Maybe, but the Bird of Prey has just Klingon language letter markings on both upper aft wings independant of the symbols on the disruptor pylons. Would those not indicate the ship's name?

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm my original post didn't come through.

Sound effect said that they were on all the birds of prey after ST:III... always the same - so couldn't be the ship name.

The bottom two glyps seem to be similar but reversed or rotated.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

SoundEffect
Member # 926

Well, just like the Rio Grande and a few others, there are some filming miniatures where the decals were never touched/repainted at all so they just end up reusing footage or filming with the same models. It was probably implied that those symbols would change for each vessel, but the filming reality is that it didn't happen.

Just like the Vor'cha Class...always the same Klingon text on it no matter which ship it was. There was only one filming miniature, so they all had the same 'name'!

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, if you take things that literally then every Excelsior that cropped up in TNG was the Hood, regardless of dialogue.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Just like the Vor'cha Class...always the same Klingon text on it no matter which ship it was. There was only one filming miniature, so they all had the same 'name'! [/QB]

There were actually at least three Vor'Cha's in DS9.
The studio model itself, a CGI version (with nifty red paneling) and at least one Playmates toy rigged to explode in WOTW.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing I never liked about the Vor'cha is the colour... It seems rather un-Klingon to me. I'd like to see one done up in Negh'Var colours. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was mentioned in the ST:TNG Compendium or the original Encyclopaedia - that it was a conscious decision to use that colour as the Vor'cha had Klingon and Federation elements and combined the Fed colour and the Klingon colour - to show that the Fed/Klingon alliance had lead to tech cooperation.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also the reason the Vor'cha has bussard collectors that look more like the ones on Federation ships.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Getting back to logos, here's yet another draft of the Earth Starfleet logo. I'm pretty confident however that this one will be final.

-

--------------------

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  32  33  34   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps