Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » K'Vort class challenge

Author Topic: K'Vort class challenge
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all know the story. In "Yesterday's Enterprise" TPTB needed a large Klingon ship to do battle with the Ent-D. However, since they didn't have a model to sufficiently portray that (the Vor'cha model hadn't been built yet), they decided to scale up the Klingon Bird-of-Prey to ridiculous proportions, or at least ridiculous until "The Defector", when the ship was scaled to hella-ridiculous proportions.

In recent times some info was shared to us that someone at least drilled window holes into the BoP model to make it look like a bigger ship (not that it mattered much in the final aired shots, since you couldn't see them).

First of all, I was wondering if any of you artists out there had ever drawn a K'Vort class ship in a more realistic perspective (i.e. the same general layout as the BoP, but scaled & designed more realistically to be a much larger ship). And second, if no one has, would someone like to try?

And before anyone does this, please don't post a picture of the Valdore... [Wink]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Phoenix Merrick
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Phoenix Merrick         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humm...I like the sounds of this challenge. I'll see what, if any thing, I can come up with.

--------------------
Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been fiddling with this for some time, actually... Started with a BoP model kit, and went from there. Wings fixed, windows drilled, bow reshaped -- twin torp tubes and an airlock -- and new wingtip weapons pods. That last is my big puzzlement at the moment.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool! You have any pics?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's be nice to see torp pods on the wingtips instead of those silly 100 meter long KBOP cannons.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't know... the cannon on refit Galaxy was, what... 300 meters long? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and horribly silly....but still not a giant version of a smaller ship's phasers.
Imagine if they just increased the Connie Refit's size 500% and said it was a new class without so much as changing the windows.

When I built my "AGT" version Galaxy, I had to leave off over half of the silly add-ons (I also removed the Galaxy's silly "neck" so the third nacelle is not obstructed).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
When I built my "AGT" version Galaxy, I had to leave off over half of the silly add-ons (I also removed the Galaxy's silly "neck" so the third nacelle is not obstructed).

Could you post a picture of this? I don't understand what "neck" you are referring to that would be removable.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Here:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1301771&uid=657989

The "neck" I removed is the "cobrahead" part of the secondary hull.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
You all know the story. In "Yesterday's Enterprise" TPTB needed a large Klingon ship to do battle with the Ent-D. However, since they didn't have a model to sufficiently portray that (the Vor'cha model hadn't been built yet), they decided to scale up the Klingon Bird-of-Prey to ridiculous proportions, or at least ridiculous until "The Defector", when the ship was scaled to hella-ridiculous proportions.

In recent times some info was shared to us that someone at least drilled window holes into the BoP model to make it look like a bigger ship (not that it mattered much in the final aired shots, since you couldn't see them).

"The Defector" was the first appearance of the giant KBoP and it wasn't until the later "Yesterday's Enterprise" that they supposedly drilled the windows in. The story goes that the upscaling in "The Defector" was a mistake, a VFX compositing error or something, but the size in "YE" was indeed intentional.

It's interesting to note that not only did "The Defector" have the first appearance of the monster BoP (intentional or not) but it also marked the first appearance of the 4' Ent-D miniature, and I've been led to believe that the Warbird was a new/replacement miniature too.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
The "neck" I removed is the "cobrahead" part of the secondary hull.

That's what I thought you meant, but I just couldn't imagine cutting it out. It looks pretty good, though. I'm surprised. [Smile]

Your PictureTrail.com links don't work in Mozilla though. You know that Starfleet doesn't use IE, right? [Wink]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

No Mozilla?

hmmmm....Here's a small gallery that might work for you:
http://scn.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=17910131&f=95110692463&m=36110015463

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A neckless Galaxy. Cool.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps