Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Isometric exercise (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Isometric exercise
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last few days, I've been teaching myself how to do isometric views in 2D. I thought I'd start with something relatively easy, the Type 15 shuttlepod, and slowly work up to more complex shapes. It's not completely accurate, but that wasn't the point here. Personally, I'm loving the amount of information this conveys as compared to our standard 3-views. I just need to practice my shading techniques a little more. What do you think?
 -

B.J.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice!
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a damn fine start, no doubt about it, but I think you need to pick a couple of vanishing points for your perspective. Right now it looks like somethings wrong with the shuttle. It's almost like an Escher drawing, parts appear bigger as they get 'further away' because your using parallel lines instead of vanishing points. At least if I was drawing it in pencil that's how I'd do it.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"because your using parallel lines instead of vanishing points..."

Which is the point of an isometric projection.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good so far but the aft roof (the topmost line in your drawing) is not quite in perspective when matched against the shuttle's nose.
You wouldnt use the same vanishing point for the aft of the shuttle's roof as for it's nose: those would be close paralells but would use a second vanishing point (one located somewhere northwest of your drawing).

Aside from that small detail (and the fact that I hate hate shuttlepod design) it looks really great.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Cartman pointed out, Isometric drawing doesn't include vanishing points.
It's a purely technical way of drawing an object in three dimensions based on a set of three to six view schematics.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it still makes an otherwise nice illustration look odd!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does indeed, but since it's essentially a technical drawing the focus in on accuracy, not aesthetics.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for backing me up, Reverend. Some of you guys really need to go look up the definition of "isometric". Incidentally, all those interior illustrations from the magazine and Fact Files (bridges, engineering, sick bay, etc.) are done the same way. I don't know if they're isometric or trimetric, but there's no vanishing points in those, either. Eventually I might try a perspective drawing, but I think it would be a lot easier just doing that by hand.

B.J.

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To put it simply, an isometric view, as well as a top/bottom/front/back/side view, is not a perspective drawing but a parallel projection, and their purpose is to establish the form and dimensions of the represented object.
StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:
It's a damn fine start, no doubt about it, but I think you need to pick a couple of vanishing points for your perspective. Right now it looks like somethings wrong with the shuttle. It's almost like an Escher drawing, parts appear bigger as they get 'further away' because your using parallel lines instead of vanishing points. At least if I was drawing it in pencil that's how I'd do it.

Isometric projection is an "olde" illustration technique that does not use any form of perspective. Technically speaking, it's unrealistic, but is intended to be used for purely technical illustrations - as it does provide clarity in the shape/proportion of the object... Sorry for the long winded statement, but I was trained in "Technical Illustration" many moons ago and remember that quite well.
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and B.J., I'd suggest you also do the isometric of the opposite sides, to get the whole picture.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Eventually I might try a perspective drawing, but I think it would be a lot easier just doing that by hand.

B.J.

It'sa minor tweak if you decide to go perspective.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks good. Just a bit of a darker shading on the underside of the hull. Also I'm not so sure I like the strong white line of the windows so much though.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something about that upper hull looks wrong...like the lines aren't parellel or something. It could just be that that's not how I'm used to looking at it I guess...

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps