Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Isometric exercise (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Isometric exercise
jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To make a perspective drawing out of an isometric schematic, just invert the polarity, and then send a phased pulse though the main deflector and create a static warp shell. Simple!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Something about that upper hull looks wrong...like the lines aren't parellel or something."

No, your problem is that the lines are parallel, in the 2D plane of the image. It's because, as has been repeated over and over in an amazingly small space, this is not a perspective drawing. It's not supposed to look like it would really look if you had the object in front of you. It's supposed to look wrong.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It'sa minor tweak if you decide to go perspective.
Actually adding two disappearing points would require realigning just about every single vector node this diagram has, not exactly a minor tweek.

quote:
That looks good. Just a bit of a darker shading on the underside of the hull. Also I'm not so sure I like the strong white line of the windows so much though.
Agree. For the reflection I'd use a light or medium grey, something that doesn't contrast so harshly. One option is to loose the gradient in favour of a solid colour on a seperate object that you lay over the top of the black window.
Like so...

-

quote:
Something about that upper hull looks wrong...like the lines aren't parellel or something. It could just be that that's not how I'm used to looking at it I guess...
Ok, some people here are obviously haveing trouble grasping what an isometric drawing is, so I've prepared a simple demonstration.
 -
Where I'm from they teach this stuff to twelve year olds, so it shouldn't pose too much of a challenge to anyone here.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN, I realized (and thought I said) that that was probably the reason.

It still looks good!

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
quote:
Actually adding two disappearing points would require realigning just about every single vector node this diagram has, not exactly a minor tweek.

quote:
That looks good. Just a bit of a darker shading on the underside of the hull. Also I'm not so sure I like the strong white line of the windows so much though.
Agree. For the reflection I'd use a light or medium grey, something that doesn't contrast so harshly. One option is to loose the gradient in favour of a solid colour on a seperate object that you lay over the top of the black window.
Like so...

-

quote:
Something about that upper hull looks wrong...like the lines aren't parellel or something. It could just be that that's not how I'm used to looking at it I guess...
Ok, some people here are obviously haveing trouble grasping what an isometric drawing is, so I've prepared a simple demonstration.
 -
Where I'm from they teach this stuff to twelve year olds, so it shouldn't pose too much of a challenge to anyone here.

Yep - good idea to show what it's actually about. Isometric is meant to aid in understanding the basic actual design of the object being drawn, not to convey a realist image of it, just "illustrate" the proper shape and alignment of joints/angles etc...
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For whatever reason, isometric drawing is HARDER for me then Perspective.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job, BJ. Listen to Reverend he is very smart.

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Someone here is a really good sculptor, but maybe not so much technical illustrator.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the compliments, guys. Due to my severe lack of free time, I'm very slow at generating updates or new stuff, so I thought I'd direct you to one person's work that I find VERY impressive. Unfortunately, I don't read German, but that shouldn't matter. Go to this link and click on the various menu items at the left. You won't be disappointed.

BTW, no updates tonight, either. I've got a Sweet Sixteen game to go to tonight! Go Jackets!

B.J.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I just love sites that use Java applets to accomplish something that requires nothing but a simple line of HTML/Javascript and a couple extra images.
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to that...
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Thanks for the compliments, guys. Due to my severe lack of free time, I'm very slow at generating updates or new stuff, so I thought I'd direct you to one person's work that I find VERY impressive. Unfortunately, I don't read German, but that shouldn't matter. Go to this link and click on the various menu items at the left. You won't be disappointed.

Oh. My. God. B.J., you are my new personal god. How often you would like to receive animal sacrifices? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm.... No animals, but how about the heads of my neighbors across the street who leave crap strewn across my lawn after their parties? [Big Grin]

So I take it you liked what this guy can do?

B.J.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Nothing special here - just wanted to see what it would look like in a Galaxy-esque shuttlebay.
 -

B.J.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, what program are you using? I cant find a good isometric grid for illustrator. I really want to take a crack at this.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiosity, those bridge drawings they used to do, from that same 3/4ths birds eye view, has one been made of the "Enterprise"-Enterprise bridge?
They are isometric drawings too, aren't they?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps