Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Isometric exercise (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Isometric exercise
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes and yes.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wes - I use Corel DRAW 8, but I don't use any sort of grid. If I was home I could show you the technique I use easily. It involves drawing the standard 3 views and then skewing and rotating everything to provide a base to start from. I'll see if I can get something up tonight.

B.J.

Wes
is still alive.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gridless eh? Leet indeed kind sir. Fucking brilliant work, btw. I really want to learn some of this as I am working on a big... big project soon. Im talking published work. And if I have to delay it a year or so to include detailed isometric drawings, so be it.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could just use this as a pattern fill and set it as the bottom layer.

-

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could use that, Rev, if the density is set high enough. With my luck, nothing would end up on a vertex. Leet? Hardly. Anyway, here's a very simplistic explanation of what I do, using a very generic workbee-like shape:
 -
I should also explain that I put most of the details into the 3-views before doing this, so that it is as accurate as possible before everything gets deformed. Also, step 9 is probably the most confusing: I'm using the different views copied and snapped into the proper plane. An example would be the side view was copied and snapped to a vertex on the front view so that I had a reference line for the bottom.

[Confused]
Dang. I'm confusing myself here. I should probably explain this part further later.

Anyway, I hope this will get you started.

B.J.

:edit:
Here's another simple explanation, in original German or translated into English.

[ April 02, 2004, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: B.J. ]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amateurs! Isometric projection is a drafting technique. It is not intended to portray an object, but to convey information to the machinist (or other technician) who uses the information to create the object in three dimensions. Perspective drawings are useless design tool. They are used primarily to let a customer know what the product will look like when its built.

Having said that, I'm sure many of you have played computer games that use isometric projections to convey a sense of three-dimensioniality (it's easier for the computer to render the two dimensions of an ISO projection than to render three actual dimensions). Some examples: Civilization II (possibly Civ III as well, but I haven't seen screen caps), Sim City 3000, the Sims, and many others.

--Baloo

--------------------
It is more important to understand than it is to agree.

http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oog! I hate it when I fail to notice that the conversation has progressed far beyond the point I was eager to make.

Never mind.

--Baloo

--------------------
It is more important to understand than it is to agree.

http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooohh.. I have to try this sometime.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief, it's easier to make the thing in a 3D model package! Then you've got all the views you need at your finger tips. [Smile]

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Well, that would be easier if I could *afford* a decent 3D package. I do have POVRay and Moray (freeware and shareware, respectively), but they're not the best at doing complex shapes. I also find myself getting mired in the intricasies of trying to decently texture and light the thing. Besides, this is something I can do fairly quickly and get good results with. (And getting a good drawing package for free [came with my dad's computer, who didn't need it] certainly helps.)

To each his own, I suppose. [Smile]

B.J.

Wes
is still alive.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tips BJ, im gonna fire up illustrator and see what i can do.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.