Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Movie era Romulan BOP? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Movie era Romulan BOP?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romulan green has less yellow in it.
The KBOP color is more akin to olive and the Romulan color is closer to forest green.

Soundeffect can give you the exact ratios, I'm sure.

He keeps tabs on that sort of thing.
I just mix up paint untill it "looks about right". [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Romulan green has less yellow in it.
The KBOP color is more akin to olive and the Romulan color is closer to forest green.

Yeah, I can see the colours are slightly different. My take on it is that the Romulan colour has a bit more of a brownish tinge (does that constitute forest green?) and the KBoP colour has a bit more of a yellow/blue element.

The colours are different but I was more suggesting that I don't think the difference has ever really been all that noticeable on the screen. I personally didn't realise there was a difference until I started researching paint schemes for my TNG Adversary model set. I have to say that I'm very proud of the colour I managed to mix for my Warbird - that model would have to be the pride of my collection. I'd post a photo if only I had a digital camera.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a pic on your Advasary Warbird?
I've also built one of those nad I recently bought three more in an auction so I can build (Sternbach's I think) Warbird Concept with the hull beng vertical and a diffrent command pod "head".

Hmmm...the main onscreen diffrence is that the Romulan ships are partly lit by their bright green nacelle glow.

Here's apc of my Warbird (though it's not so yellow in real life: bad lighting on that shot!)
The Romulan Warhawk and Talon are correct Romulan colors.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1146729&uid=657989

If you have the 2001 Ships of the Line Calander, there are very nice renderings of both KBOP and Warbird (although not together)

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I unfortunately don't have any photos or means to take one. I'm going to have to invest in a digital camera one of these days.

It was Probert who came up with the original vertical orientation idea. The D'deridex Warbird was entirely Probert's design. In fact, I believe it was the last ship he ever designed for the franchise.

I've got all of the SotL calendars and those pages of the BoP and Warbirds, like most of all SotL, were CG. A lot of ships (including the KBoP and D'deridex) have never really been done justice in CG IMO.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It all comes down to the old modeler's choice of "Do I build it how it looks onscreen or like the studio model?".

Many Trek ships look completely diffrent onscreen: The Jem' Hadar in particular.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Jason, I'm not sure about Talon (although it's certainly unique) but your Warhawk is superb. I'd be more than happy if it was canon.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
It all comes down to the old modeler's choice of "Do I build it how it looks onscreen or like the studio model?".

I usually go more for the look of the miniature if I can, but it doesn't hurt to have a slight influence of how it looks on screen.
quote:
Many Trek ships look completely diffrent onscreen: The Jem' Hadar in particular.
Speaking of which, does anyone have any pictures of the Jemmy Battlecruiser miniature? I'd love to see that -- I've never seen any anywhere.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Dax, I *DID* have one of the bug but i must have deleted it. They ARE around... it had a big pole sticking out the back of it.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

I've got a few pics of the bug but it's the cruiser (the one they first used in "Ties of Blood and Water") that I'm after.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
Jason, I'm not sure about Talon (although it's certainly unique) but your Warhawk is superb. I'd be more than happy if it was canon.

I cant take credit for either design: the WArhawk is abuild up of ravenstar studio's amazing model and the Talon is by fellow modeler Karim Nassar (though I added the nacelles and feather plating).

I love them both but the Warhawk is just an awesome design.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like someone has built a 3D model of the sketch I posted earlier:
http://www.3dgladiators.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20866#post233283

B.J.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

BJ, I don't know if it's just me but these sketches are reminiscent of what I'd expect from John Eaves (certainly not a bad thing IMO) minus his often used pointy half-moon nacelle syndrome.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked that 3D-model, though I think the saucer area could be bigger or protrude more from the "beak", or the pylons' width could be slimmer.

The first Rom-BoP on that page is also nice, made me think of a -72 Stingray for some reason.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
I really liked that 3D-model, though I think the saucer area could be bigger or protrude more from the "beak", or the pylons' width could be slimmer.

The first Rom-BoP on that page is also nice, made me think of a -72 Stingray for some reason.

Funny, I was thinkign the opposite, that the 'saucer' would look better, if it where more elliptical (more like the Voyager hull, then the TOS Enterprise's).

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost hate to bring it up... but this was always my favorite for a movie-era bird-of-prey:

http://www.startrekaustralia.com/startrek/romulan/romulanbirdofvengeance/

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps