Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Custom Starships: from hand-drawing to schematic; 15 years later� (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Custom Starships: from hand-drawing to schematic; 15 years later�
Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently was cleaning-out my attic and came across some drawings I did in high school several years ago. Believe it or not, most of them were dated! Among these drawings were a handful of hand-drawn starship schematics (drawn ~1987-1989).

So, just for fun, I decided to take those hand-drawn pics and build new schematics in Photoshop based on those designs. Here are the two I have done so far:

-

-

-

-

And a variant based on that design:

-

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impressive. Most impressive.

I like the dual launchers under the bridge.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many thanks!

To be fair and give credit where credit is due, however; the pho-torp system as seen on my U.S.S. Talhoffer is, in fact, a concept I stole from the U.S.S. Pharris, as seen in Starfleet Prototype.

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, second ship looks like the Starfleet destroyer from SFC.
http://www.taldren.com/software/SFC1/maingrafx/smallsplash.JPG

Sorry, I can't find a better picture.
Although, I suppose chronologically, your design would predate that, and their design is based on a SFB design or somesuch.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice schematics. Baaaaaad fonts.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are swell!

A few questions: On the TOS-era ship, how are the sides of the extended secondary hull shaped? Are they vertical and then flat on top or are they rounded? I can't quite understand how they intersect with the flat planes and angles of the rear of the saucer.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Commander Dan
Member # 558

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Nice schematics. Baaaaaad fonts.

Admittedly, I did not search very hard for the perfect fonts. I had hoped that the ones I used would suffice, though I was aware that they did not look �accurate.� Oh well.

Masao, does the pic below help to answer your question? Yes, �twas my intention that the �extended secondary hull� be vertical and flat on top.

-

--------------------
-- Andrew Probert

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice renderings but I think you've got three times as many deflector panels as aTOS ship would have based on the "trials and Tribulations" Enterprise.

...of course, your deflector-less ship might need more so you could justify it. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice. I like the TOS ship, that aft hull design is pretty original, even 15 years later.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Commander Dan
Member # 558

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Nice renderings but I think you've got three times as many deflector panels as aTOS ship would have based on the "trials and Tribulations" Enterprise.

...of course, your deflector-less ship might need more so you could justify it. [Wink]

I suppose one could rationalize that this is a �late� TOS-era ship; hence all the grid lines.

I kind-of figured that the deflector is located in the front of the saucer, where those three round �sensors� are usually housed. I had thought about adding the drop-down deflector to the new schematic, but I wanted to stay relatively �true� to my original drawing.

Thanks to all for the kind words! There are, indeed, a couple of more of these that I hope to finish soon. As soon as I do, I will post them here.

Original top drawing of U.S.S. Sharp (named for a girlfriend at the time, incidentally):

-

--------------------
-- Andrew Probert

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to give ex-girlfriend names to adversary ships... For instance, I named a B'rel class the IKS B'otch in rememberance of one of them.

Anyway, regarding fonts, Mike will happen along here soon enough and throw his Starfleet font collection at you. Use it. Love it.

[Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the sides are vertical and the top is flat, how do you get to the rounded shapes of the shuttlebay doors in the back?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a French Curve?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Commander Dan
Member # 558

quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
If the sides are vertical and the top is flat, how do you get to the rounded shapes of the shuttlebay doors in the back?

Perhaps it �morphs� into that shape near the rear�? To be honest, I really didn�t think about it that hard. Certainly, I am open to any suggestions as to how to �improve� the schematic, though as stated before: I wish to remain true to the original drawing.

--------------------
-- Andrew Probert

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They look great - what program did you do the new rendering in - looks very professional.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.