Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Custom Starships: from hand-drawing to schematic; 15 years later� (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Custom Starships: from hand-drawing to schematic; 15 years later�
Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my most recent work: the original drawings (from 1989), and my new schematic crafted in Photoshop.

The original ship was the U.S.S. Lea, again named for a girlfriend at the time. In this instance, however, I have renamed the ship the U.S.S. Liberi after the 14th-15th Century Italian Swordmaster; Fiore de Liberi.

-

-

-

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cross-hatched deflector grid looks weird, but it's a nice drawing. As are the others. [Smile]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a biiiiig secondary hull ya got there.
Compensating for some shortcoming in engineering, mabye?

Is the deck under the bridge another shuttlebay?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This configuration just screams movie-era Intrepid class to me.

B.J.

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Is the deck under the bridge another shuttlebay?

Actually, it's only just a long command hull with a rather plain rectangular window at the back; presumably where a lounge is located.

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
This configuration just screams movie-era Intrepid class to me.

I made that connection too, though the original drawing was done in �89; long before Voyager was even conceived.

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Hmmm, second ship looks like the Starfleet destroyer from SFC.

Durret Class?

There is another site or 3 that actually has the stats from the FASA game system from the 80's, but Cleeve calls it "Durret" and i'm inclined to agree in principle at least...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Commander Dan
Member # 558

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Hmmm, second ship looks like the Starfleet destroyer from SFC.
http://www.taldren.com/software/SFC1/maingrafx/smallsplash.JPG

Sorry, I can't find a better picture.
Although, I suppose chronologically, your design would predate that, and their design is based on a SFB design or somesuch.

Yeah, I have the Starfleet Command game for PC and immediately recognized the design (They stole my design! [Roll Eyes] ), though the SFC version has a pho-torp launcher on the lower dorsal.

Still, my design was drawn ~1988, and I can safely say that the only thing that influenced it was Franz Joseph�s TOS style Scout/Destroyer. I saw those ships and thought, �why not simply add another warp nacelle to the top?�

No doubt, I always figured that lots of folks probably came up with this idea as well, so I was never surprised to see this concept done elsewhere, albeit with somewhat varying details.

--------------------
-- Andrew Probert

Commander Dan
Member # 558

This is the last of my custom starships. I seemed to have lost motivation lately to photoshop the top view, so I will go ahead a post what I have finished.

-

-

Also, here is a �variant� of my Sharp-class:

-

--------------------
-- Andrew Probert

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Refit looks like an offshoot of the Belknap class.
Is it a carrier?
It could also be a niiice colony ship.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the side view of that last movie-era ship, but I hate low-mounted nacelles. I also don't care for the way you've laid out the secondary hull... all wide and flat like that. But I really dig the deflector and the details on the side view of the secondary hull.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the Destroyer in SFC that is a beautiful ship but yours is way better though. The SFC version was basically a futurized Franz Joseph design with extra Naccelle and connie torp launcher underneath.

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work you've done there. I like how you were able to blend in elements of the Belknap and Ingram designs (and one or two others from Starfleet Prototypes?).

Do you have any more floating around that you can show us?

Cheers!

Jim.

--------------------
It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that to iron out the details of how the curves and straight lines intersect, you're going to have to try some front and rear views. Unless you do that, your ships are just sort of graphic exercises rather than realistic ships.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the Horizon, you should just put the dual launchers inside the lower part of the saucer. when you put it on top it reminds om of the TOS concept of putting the torp launchers underneath the bridge. One good phaser shot in that area, and the entire top saucer section goes boom...

I'll shutup now...

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

Commander Dan
Member # 558

quote:
Originally posted by Jim NCC1701A:
Do you have any more floating around that you can show us?

Actually, these are pretty much it. As I recall, there was at least one more design I played around with several years ago, but I do not seem to have kept any drawings of it. Basically, the design was simply a TOS/Franz Joseph style scout/destroyer with two nacelles (one port and one starboard) attached at the bottom of the dorsal via horizontal pylons. I had put a deflector dish sandwiched in-between.

quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
I think that to iron out the details of how the curves and straight lines intersect, you're going to have to try some front and rear views. Unless you do that, your ships are just sort of graphic exercises rather than realistic ships.

Thanks for the tips, but bear in mind that I simply wanted to �recreate� in Photoshop the designs I drew so many years ago. I am certainly no engineer or graphic designer, but quite frankly, I always thought that the designs held up pretty well to scrutiny, with perhaps the exception of the last movie-era ship shown in the thread (1564-A).

quote:
Originally posted by Capt.Blair245:
For the Horizon, you should just put the dual launchers inside the lower part of the saucer. when you put it on top it reminds om of the TOS concept of putting the torp launchers underneath the bridge. One good phaser shot in that area, and the entire top saucer section goes boom...

Yeah, I wasn�t going for practicality. The idea was, indeed, to pay �homage� to the Franz Joseph concept of placing the torpedo tubes just under the bridge. As stated before, this is an idea I gleaned from Starship Design.

Once again, thanks for all the comments. If I can ever muster the energy, I will try to photoshop additional views, but don�t hold your breath...

--------------------
-- Andrew Probert

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps