Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Starfleet Medical - U.S.S. Asclepius (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Starfleet Medical - U.S.S. Asclepius
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
(Click for larger)

This is nearly a direct vector design of the sketch for the original holoship. I thought it would make a great medical ship, so, here it is. Hey, I need SOMETHING to make me look busy at work. Enjoy!

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice choice of name.
Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

code:

01 Bridge
Readyroom
Confrence Room

02/03 Hospital Alpha (Extremely Urgent Care)
In-Bound Shuttlebays (Upper Shuttlebay)

04 Hospital Beta
05 Hospital Beta
06 Hospital Beta

07 Crew Quarters
08 Crew Quarters

09 In-Bound/Outbound Shuttlebay (Main Shuttlebay)
Main Engineering

10 Crew Lounge
Recovery Center
Holosuites
Rear Torpeedo Bay

11 Captain's Yact
Forward Torpeedo Bay
Systems Management

12 Medical Research Facilities
13 Medical Research Facilities
Computer Core/Systems Management

14 Emergency Overflow Hospital
15 Emergency Overflow Hospital

16 Cargo Management
17 Cargo Hold

18 Antimatter Storage

The Idea for the Emergency Overflow Hospital is that its completely run by emergency medical holograms. Its used in times of war and large-scale medical emergencies and urgent evacuations. The amount of computer power and raw energy takes 50% of the warp core down and disables the holosuites, and non-critical systems durring its use.

There are medium-sized transporters on every other deck, and 4 large transporter bays on decks 2, 3, 5, and 6.

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a fantastic design. I love it. Excellent work! I'd love to see a 3D version...

Edit:
Ok, I couldn't resist. I colored it.
 -

Hope ya don't mind. [Smile]

[ April 19, 2004, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: jesus X ]

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an interesting design right enough, and I'm tempted to try and do a 3D version apart from the fact that i could really do with a top and rear view as well, to enable me to get an idea of how it goes together. Once it was finished I think the first thing I would do would be to strech it out sideways by about 80% so it didn't look so chubby in the forward view. [Smile]

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like an anatomically inverted Sovereign to me. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it, but maybe try stretching the nacelles back a bit?

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...I DO like it but it's too large, deep and narrow from the sketch I saw of the Holoship.

It's a floating hospital (somehing I like) but if that's a Q-Torp launcher under the saucer, you're just asking for trouble.

I like the sideview a lot.
I really dont like the forward view at all:
THe deflector is too large (if that's off the Sovvie, anyway) and the nacelles look really....strange leaning inward like that.
The B-C deck (indeed the whole upper saucer) should not be domed in the fore view (based on the side view, it should look flat with the bridge on top).

I'd also either round off the bottom of the secondaey hull more or make it a pointed "V" shape like the Sabre.

Lastly, I'd give it additional shuttlebays and LOTS more lifeboats (this is a hospital after all!).

I think it's looking really nice so far but can be refined into a really great ship design. [Wink]

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked that design, and even though Eaves designed it for the holoship, I thought it would make a very cool scout.

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool. What's the doomahicker on the aft hull undercut? Any specific purpose?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Wes
Member # 212

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Cool. What's the doomahicker on the aft hull undercut? Any specific purpose?

Mark

None that I know of. It was on the original design and I sorta played with it. Probably there just to look neat. I'd say its some sort of sensor equipment or something.

quote:
Originally posted by jesus X:

Hope ya don't mind. [Smile]

Of course not, not what I had in mind for color, but hey, it looks nice!

As for 3D, i havent cracked 3ds open in YEARS, and ive recently been playing with Maya. I dont think i'll be doing one unless its isometric in illustrator.

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Hmmm...I DO like it but it's too large, deep and narrow from the sketch I saw of the Holoship.

It's a floating hospital (somehing I like) but if that's a Q-Torp launcher under the saucer, you're just asking for trouble.

I like the sideview a lot.
I really dont like the forward view at all:
THe deflector is too large (if that's off the Sovvie, anyway) and the nacelles look really....strange leaning inward like that.
The B-C deck (indeed the whole upper saucer) should not be domed in the fore view (based on the side view, it should look flat with the bridge on top).

I'd also either round off the bottom of the secondaey hull more or make it a pointed "V" shape like the Sabre.

Lastly, I'd give it additional shuttlebays and LOTS more lifeboats (this is a hospital after all!).

I think it's looking really nice so far but can be refined into a really great ship design. [Wink]

Yes, it is pretty much a big boat. I always think of medical ships as fat and dense with lots of volume. The two launcers are a bit much, eh? Mabye i'll modify them, but its not like it wont need to defend itself. Not all enemies obey the rules of engagement.

The deflector is based on the Sovvie -- and I enlarged it. If I was to make it small, what kind of details could I fill in to make it look a bit more busy/interesting?

As for the roundness of the upper saucer, I whole-heartedly agree. It needs to slope up steeper to a flat top, instead of the semicircle i have there.

I'll add more lifeboats, which are important because if there was some sort of contamination there would need to be a giant evacuation of some sort.

Im busy for at least the next few days, so I probably wont have a revision till later this week. Thanks for the input and more is appretiated!

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Wes1701J hit the nail on the head, with it's volume. It's meant to be "chubby", much as the Pasteur from TNG: "All Good Things" was voluminous. It allows for a maximum interior for a minimum of hull. Plenty of biobeds for patients, and operating/lab space.

As for the deflector, maybe it shouldn't be round like a Sovereign, but shaped to more reflect the lower hullshape, like on the Intrepid, like the hull lines from the fore view, like an interted bell curve.

As for curving the lower hull, that would just add an extra half-deck in the center, which would be resource wasteful.

The only other change besides the deflector I'd make is moving the antimatter storage into the center. All an enemy has to do is fire a photorp at the bottom and the whole ship becomes a mini-star.

Highway Hoss
Member # 1289

- posted      Profile for Highway Hoss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice idea and concept but I'll be damned if the ship doesn't look like a Sovvie that shrunk in the wash..... [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Wes
Member # 212

Thanks Jesus (heh)

I belive Eaves designed it to match up with the sovvie, sort of a fatty bulky version of it. But yes, i had the Pastur in mind when i was looking at the thing. It doesnt look like it, but I bet you could service as many as two Soverign-class starships worth of crew and passengers on this thing.

Could of been worse, I could of slapped a cross on an Akira with one Nacelle.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldnt it be Aesculapius? Or Asklepios in the original Greek.

I agree that the nacelles should be back a bit. Perhaps you could even extend a secondary tail out backwards to attach the nacelles to. That gets the machinery away from the patients.

Top view?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps