Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » ENT style 1701 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: ENT style 1701
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over on Starship Modeler , there's an interesting design, by BURNINGMAN of the Constitution class, as a logical outgrowth of the MX-01.
http://www.creatingthelie.com/crap/enterprise-TOS-dimensional.jpg

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niiice [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, that's not a bad looking ship, all things considered. It'd have a lot more interior volume in the primary hull, too.

It could lose the checkerboard flux chillers, though.

[shields]
Maybe we could get Ron Moore to do a "re-imagining" of TOS with this ship. Ira could produce.
[/shields]

[Big Grin]
Marian

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow . . . she's beautiful. I'd thought of some tweaks on the 1701 to bring her more in line with the continuity between the pre-E and the A . . . a little bit of blue nacelle glow on the inboard sides, some blue glow behind the old dish . . . but damn . . . I never would've gone this far, and it was clearly my mistake to not do so.

That said, though, the side view needs some buildup aft of the bridge . . . the top view seems to show a superstructure which is not visible in the side view, and which (in my aesthetic opinion (ha!)) is needed to make the saucer flow better down to the impulse deck.

There's also a bit of an optical illusion in regards to the saucer, I think. The ventral side has the pre-E's little jag on the way down to the sensor array bubble . . . that sharp angle that cuts in before the round bottom section. In the pic, it looks like the part that should be horizontal isn't horizontal . . . I can't tell in looking at the pic if that's because it isn't horizontal, or whether it's because the connecting dorsal and the front of the secondary hull seem to make it all one big curve.

Anyway, if I were actually thinking this could be the 2260's Enterprise, I might've tweaked the engines a bit more to bring them further from the 2150's nacelle design.

But don't get me wrong. Even though I've mentioned all those little tweaks, I love this ship.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bleurgh!

It's a travesty! The original 1701 is a beatiful ship. This thing is an abomination [Razz]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOOOOOOohh...

it's shiny! [Smile]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that this design could possibly serve in some sort of "reimagining" of TOS, were such a thing to occur. However, it would still be nothing but a pale shadow of the original, as are all ships that came after her.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reimagining of TOS? I'd like to burn the memos, if any, that mention such ideas [Cool]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2004/04/star_trek_service_pack.html

--------------------
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad as an intermediate concept, although it could certainly do with having the details toned down somewhat, at the moment it's far too much of a literal re-jiggling of the NX-01.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really a beautiful design, when viewed in line of the Star Trek: Enterprise style. It's quite realistic. Frankly, I can see that as a ship design circa 2200, a step between the NX class and the Constitution. Maybe halfway between in size too. That's really nice.
TheWoozle
Member # 929

Here's a size compairison, between the Refit and the NX-01 models, in 1/350 scale
http://www.thomasmodels.com/refit/bigboat4.jpg
from the POLAR LIGHTS board, on Hobby Talk.

--------------------
The Woozle!

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, you're right, 225 meters versus 289. Maybe this bad boy is 260 meters. [Smile]
blssdwlf
Member # 1024

- posted      Profile for blssdwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, its a nice design for an alternate trek reality series like Enterprise [Wink]

However, if this were an outgrowth of the NX-01, I would expect it to be catamaran style, NOT 1701 style with its distinctive primary/secondary/nacelles layout. From an evolutionary standpoint, there really isn't a connection from NX-01 to 1701. This design could work as an intermediary ship, perhaps 50 years before the 1701.

But, the original 1701 will always to me look better than any "re-imagined" version. (And the refit-1701 will just be as untouchable [Smile] ) They got them right the first time.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's what the ISS Enterprise should have looked like.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.