Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Service Vehicle (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Service Vehicle
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A relatively quick job: JFR-05 "Mantis"

It's a small one-man Discovery-like servicing pod.

It was actually born out of my plan of designing a less Jetsons-like version of one of Matt Jefferies' original sketches for TOS:

Original Jefferies design

The updated version started out with more realistic arms, but I soon figured out that the controller would have be moved as well, and this Sphinx-like layout seemed the best option.

Note: All the thrusters etc. are hidden, TOS-style [Razz]

This one's finished. So don't start complaining about misaligned pixels [Wink]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A predecessor to the classic Work Bee. Nice! [Cool]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few other designs for a service vehicle in the Star Trek Sketch Book by Jeffries. I was WONDERING when someone here was going to get around to doing pictures/scans/commentary on this design. Shows they were thinking about such ships back then - or was this perhaps designs for Phase II?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they are TOS sketches. In the TOS Sketchbook we have sketches of an "Equipment Delivery Vehicle" (a 'space-truck'), a "Personnel Carrier" (a proper TOS-style shuttle, and the only really 'in-style' design), a flat "Space Tug" (also usable as farming vehicle!) and this "Space Tug". They are interesting designs, but not really "Star Trek" or very rational designs. They do show that Jefferies wasn't a "space man" [Smile]

(Although it does look like he was a real "air man", since his space truck uses thrusters similar to the Harrier VSTOL aircraft)

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, those old sketches look like something off the Jetsons.

As for this Mantis, I thing it'd earn it's name better if the manipulators were mounted under the cab and folded backwards, like it's namesake.

EDIT

Like this, but not so crap.
 -
Oh and a joystick on the right arm of the chair would probably look good too.

[ April 24, 2004, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Well, I also thought about Crab, but Crabs only remind me too much of www.rathergood.com.

Besides, Starfleet continuously uses Wasps in it's logos when it's cleary a Work*bee* [Razz]

UPDATE

Just a quicky before I go. The Space Truck updated. It's an inherently silly concept, but I tried to make it a precursor to this shuttle.

(the original Jefferies sketch is here)
 -

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, I think the ball joint at the base of the arm is a bit weak. I'd submerge it at least half way into a mounting base. Also, judging from a look into the cockpit, their isn't much space for a motor at the base to move the arm around.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mantis looks like it screws into alight socket!
I'd change the shape a little (away from the kightbulb look) and mabye give it docking clamps like the travelpod has (so the Mantis can attach to cargo sleds and such).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

UPDATE

The Mantis can now land in a shuttlebay, and some more details in the cabin.

-

Masao, the base of the arm is not a ball joint. The Mantis arms are inspired on this schematic of the ISS' Canadarm.

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool design [Smile]
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering, how does the pilot get in and out? I'm assuming the canopy is hinged somehow...

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Starfleet make aftermarket parts to deck it out as a big smiley face? [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
I was wondering, how does the pilot get in and out? I'm assuming the canopy is hinged somehow...

The same way they get in and out of a Workbee or a Sphinx [Smile]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Very carefully?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the 'Truck' idea isn't stupid - to me it just looks like a TOS version of the work-bee pulling those cargo modules seen in ST:TMP - except there is only one module in the "Truck" design.

I think the Farm idea is VERY reminiscent of Luke Skywalker's speeder... maybe Lucas had access to these sketches!?!

I think the Farm idea is for a story where they end up on a planet and have to farm - sorta like children of time or paradise... they'd end up using 'high-tech' to do things in a low tech environ... That's what it looks like or is a sorta possibility - anyway.

VERY nice mantis design.

Harry the Utility vehicle - truck thingy would look more TOSish - without having the back part painted blue, and having that 'alphadyne' text over the back in a very un-TOS fashion.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps