Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Need Some Help With A Font

Author Topic: Need Some Help With A Font
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having just bought a new computer and color printer, I've got plans to print up new graphics for pen-and-ink starship drawings I've done over the years. I'm looking for suggestions about how to do the correct, two-tone hull lettering from the movie era on. I've got the Starfleet Bold Extended font, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in CorelDraw, I just convert the StarfleetBldExt to curves, and break up those curves into individual shapes. Then I delete the excess shapes, and make the 'outline' shapes red.

Sounds like a lot of work, and it is a bit fiddly, but I can't think of another way.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in Photoshop, I usually use the select wand to select only the text in the text layer, then on a new layer grouped with it (under it), i modify the selection (expand it by several pixels) so it is the space away from the text i want the outline to be, then subtract some intervening pixels to be the transparent (or color them white, depending on the style of label) part in between, and fill the selection red or what have you.

you might even rasterize the text and do it in the same layer, since if you retype new text in you will have to erase the outline and draw it from scratch.

A way to make the outline dynamic is to use a layer style, stacking two or more layers that outline the text, using outer glow or drop shadow to provide the appropriate outline, although it is trick to set the fade and falloff to look crisp like the outline should. while more adaptable, i still havent managed to tweak enough settings to make this technique very good, but know that you need to select 'precise' rather than 'softer' in the style dialogue...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.