Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » An old fashioned skimmery thing

Author Topic: An old fashioned skimmery thing
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just sketched this up for the TrekBBS monthly contest. It's supposed to be a low-budget atmospheric shuttle for only one or two persons, probably used my flying enthusiasts and some of the Federation's outer colonies.
 -
Have at it.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. I expected your version of the Cardassian skimmer in here.

The top view looks slightly Bajoran. I like it better than the side view.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks... Drazi! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

Then let's just hope he chooses the right colors for it. [Wink]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, Rev. I'm liking it! A few points:
1. The knob tail is different lengths on the two views.
2. Is that a bicycle landing gear? Unless you have some outrigger supports this ship will need a kickstand.
3. Are those wheelie things on the wings supposed to be vertical lifters?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Bugger
2. The gears were just thrown in at the last minute to establish the ground level. I'll sort it out down the road.
3. Yup.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
quote:

Purple!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
quote:

Purple!
Are you insane?! GREEN rulez!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had to mention this: A year or so ago when my son was 3, we were in the car talking about nothing in particular, mostly spouting out non-sequiturs just to hear my son's reaction. At one point, I yelled out "PURPLE!" and my son immediately shot back with "GREEN!" My wife and I just burst out laughing. Funniest damn thing I ever heard, especially since he's never seen (or would understand) B5.

Okay, back on topic: While I usually like your stuff, Rev, this one leaves me cold. I understand the restrictions of this month's contest, and that kind of backs you into a corner, but it just doesn't look, well, Star-Trekky to me. I'm not sure we've ever seen anything other than landing "feet", and I haven't known any Trek craft to need any visible vertical lifting device. While this may be a good design for something else, I just don't feel it fits well into Trek.

B.J.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contest?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well B.J. that is where I'm coming from. It's not a standard federation design, it's a cheap civilian shuttle, probably sub-contracted from colonial admin to one of the less 'wealthy' federation members as a sort of echonomic leg-up.
With 150 members I think there is plenty of room for all kinds of out landish and 'un-trek' designs. At least peek outside of the box once in a while, it's really not that scary.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get me wrong, Rev, I admire the diversity you're inserting into the Trek universe here. It's just not something *I* would do. That being said, there's also plenty of odd-shaped Federation non-Starfleet canon designs. This page showed me that.

And taking another look at your ship, it looks to me like the pilot might be in a prone position, similar to the Minbari fighters in B5.

B.J.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps