Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Designing the USS Titan? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Designing the USS Titan?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh oh... Looks like Paramount has basically called the ball on not having another TNG movie, by letting Pocket Books design Riker's USS Titan as a presumably new starship class. What's more, they're letting Pocket hold a contest for the ship's look! Details from a Trektoday.com report follows:

Also revealed at Shore Leave was that the Titan's starship class/designation would be revealed in the first book, and that a contest for fans to design what the exterior of the ship would look like will take place. Regarding the contest Palmieri has said, "No one should be too hasty trying to design the Titan just yet. The parameters will depend entirely on how the ship is described in the first novel. Plus, we haven't yet worked out all the details of exactly how the contest will be conducted, what formats are acceptable, who may participate, etc."

Palmieri has also said, "When Riker's ship is launched, the Dominion War has been over for four years, and Starfleet is at last ready to put this difficult period of its recent history behind it by returning in earnest to missions of peaceful exploration, diplomacy, and the expansion of knowledge. After the first novel about the ship going to Romulus, Titan will continue with character-driven stories emphasizing high adventure, personal drama, and scientific wonder."

As Palmieri said, we shouldn't be too hasty - but it looks like they don't want another battlewagon. Shall the GCS motif return? Perhaps when the contest is officially announced, we should hold a mini-contest here... Or hell, submit one communally. Dibs on the bridge. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's kinda cool.

I figured that if they did do another TNG movie in which the Titan would be shown, factoring the laziness & unoriginality of John Eaves into the picture, that we would just get the Enterprise-E digitally renamed the Titan.

I hope they're open to pencil drawings, not just to CGI.

P.S. They should have done this with the I.K.S. Gorkon. The ship envisioned by Keith DeCandido, with one or two small exceptions, looks almost exactly like the Vor'cha, when it is supposed to be a different class altogether.

I already had an idea what the ship might look like, but I guess I'll have to wait until the next book comes out. BTW, the first novel with the Titan, "Captain's Blood," gives no hint about the design.

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Titan should be a refit Galaxy class with three nacells, but maybe without the superphaser. I think starfleet already has enough different kinds of ships!

--------------------
Neutrino 123 (pronounced Neutrino One-Two-Three)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a great design:
http://www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery8/mp_titan.htm

Mike Putnam made a new ship with cool elements of the Sovvie, a large saucer and cool nacelles....I'm undecided on the "Enterprise B" style secondary hull though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks as fat as Tim Nix.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of a communal effort - cause it is VERY obvious that it won't be open to individuals from outside of North America. Then maybe we could submit it under Charles Capps or something (or he could do it) and then we divvy up the prize? Or even have our own in-house raffle of the prize? Or is the prize to be Pocket-Book's sweat-shop worker/just getting your design used?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mind that ship behind the link - I would have preferred something like that for the Enterprise-E. The Eaves-ness has been ironed out of it. Fits more the 'technology unchained' idea.

The other thing is - there is nothing to say that the Titan could be an older ship.

--------------------

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a safe bet the contest winner will be one that doesn't look backward, in terms of its "look". Whenever people in suits oversee a creative effort, it's always "new new new," and consistancy=stagnation. Look how much trouble they had keeping the Enterprise B an Excelsior.

Whenever the new iteration of a beloved series is consistant with its past, God kills a baby. Or something.

Marian

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Who let these suits get such power over Trek? Grr.

I reckon we need more in the "Intrepid-era".

So something more between The Galaxy and the Intrepid.

Heh, or send them something that's already been seen but they don't really know - cause they don't pay attention and/or they aren't as obssessed with starships as we are! [Smile]

Or something corny... a Raging Queen-a-sized Intrepid class? [Smile]

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether or not it's an older ship will likely be dealt with in the text of the book. Janeway got a brand spanking new ship her first time out, so why not Riker? I'd rather it not turn out to be some gigormous uberShip, though. Midsize and classy like the Intrepid works for me.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a name like Titan, I would expect it to be rather large. Personally, I would prefer to see the model someone did of a Galaxy in Sovereign configuration, i.e. Galaxy saucer rotated 90 degrees and squash the neck some. Does anyone remember who did that? I think they called it Frontier class or something.

B.J.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think we all remember that. Vorlon did it. I wonder if he's still around here? I remember he did post a little while back.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been times where the ship's name has something to do with the nature of the ship, i.e. Defiant, Excelsior, and sadly, Prometheus (Nebula version), but mostly, the name doesn't mean squat as far as what kind of ship bears it. Besides, if the name was meant to convey the size of the ship, it would be the Titanic (possessing the qualities of a Titan). Naming it the Titan implies they're simply referring to the Greek myth.

But I'm guessing the Suits will see it your way. The Titan will be at least as big as a Galaxy.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man I am so made at corporations and I listen to Good Charlotte because they don't take no gruff!!!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
With a name like Titan, I would expect it to be rather large. Personally, I would prefer to see the model someone did of a Galaxy in Sovereign configuration, i.e. Galaxy saucer rotated 90 degrees and squash the neck some. Does anyone remember who did that? I think they called it Frontier class or something.

B.J.

Our very own Soundeffect made that one:
http://members.fortunecity.com/msfm/stephen_l/ussmariner.htm

I like it, but for the Titan, I've angle the nacelles in a "V" like the Soverign.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps