Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Videotutorial: "Starshipdesign". (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Videotutorial: "Starshipdesign".
Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've made a videotutorial where i show (or better draw) you how to draw a "Constitution class" like saucersection using "Corel Draw 10".
I know many here know how to use vectorgraphics programs, but for those who don't maybe they can take a look.

-

And here the Videofile (it's about 25 min. long. The filesize is 7,5 MB with good quality)
http://mitglied.lycos.de/MrBrown5/tutorial.wmv (Note:Please save it with "Rightclick, Save as...")
I hope you like it.

Lobo

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much for this tutorial.

(Not that I actually need it, but I definitely aprecciate the effort. Good work. [Smile] )

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to see how other people use the same tools. The only significant difference between your style and mine is that you don't seem to use PowerClip.

I usually don't bother with making gridlines exactly the right width, but just make them long enough and PowerClip them into the hull shape. The same goes for the bridge 'ceiling light'. I just draw a rectangle, make it yellow-ish, and Powerclip it into the bridge dome. Always fits [Smile]

How did you make that movie?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
Thank you very much for this tutorial.

(Not that I actually need it, but I definitely aprecciate the effort. Good work. [Smile] )

Actually i wanted to see if there is a demand for such tutorials. This is not really a tutorial, more a test. [Wink]
I've just drawn something (in this case a saucer).

Edit: BTW I don't draw/design starships anymore, but I want to give other people the opportunity to create ships in that way. If you have any requests what you want to see ...let me know [Wink]

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

Lobo
Member # 669

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Nice to see how other people use the same tools. The only significant difference between your style and mine is that you don't seem to use PowerClip.

What is PowerClip? [Big Grin]

I used Camtasia to record that movie.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mini tutorial:

1) Draw 2 shapes.

2) Drag one of the shapes on top of the other, with your right mouse-button. You get a Copy X Here.. context menu. There's also a 'Powerclip Inside' option. If you click on that, the 2nd shape will be clipped inside the other.

Powerclip Inside automagically centers the object inside the other one, but this can be turned off somewhere. If you CTRL+Click on a Powerclip object, you can edit the contents of that Powerclip, ie you go a level 'deeper'.

I also use this tool to sort of group objects together. I usually powerclip the windows and other hull details inside the hull itself, so it really behaves like 1 object.

--------------------

Lobo
Member # 669

Ohh it works...thanks...ehh i mean...of course i know powerclip...*g*
kidding. [Wink]

--------------------

Lobo
Member # 669

Oh i forgot Corel Draw is maybe not a common graphics program and not everybody can afford such a graphics suite like Corel or Adobe... So feel free to tell me some freeware (or free trail) vector graphics programs i could use to make tutorials.

Or i make a tutorial for 3 most common graphics suite (like CD, Illustrator...)

But we also could use Paint [Wink] ...maybe I should make a tutorial for it...yes I should..

Oh and btw., for the next (real) tutorials I will put in some text and infos (if you need to press a key on the keybord or so...) in the tutorial.

Lobo

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got anything on Illustrator?

Thanks for the thoughtful idea, BTW.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lobo
Member # 669

quote:
Got anything on Illustrator?
I am working on.

BTW. If you use Mozilla or any other Non Micr-O-soft ( Shame on you [Big Grin] ) Browser to download the movie it probably dosen't work.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why that would be true. It worked fine for me.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Didn't work for me. It claimed it was finished after zero seconds. So I used GetRight... or whatever the hell it's called... let's see... FlashGet. I used FlashGet. Hoorah.

--------------------

Lobo
Member # 669

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I don't see why that would be true. It worked fine for me.

It's cause someone told me that the download don't work (he uses firefox) and I tested it with Mozilla and all I've got was just a 10 kb HTML file instead the movie. :/

But if it works for you...good.

--------------------

Lobo
Member # 669

Here are the orignal Files of the saucer.
 -

For Adobe Illustrator (don't know if it works):
http://mitglied.lycos.de/MrBrown5/Tutorial/saucer.ai
For Corel Draw 8:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/MrBrown5/Tutorial/saucer_CD_8.cdr
For Corel Draw 9:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/MrBrown5/Tutorial/saucer_CD_9.cdr
For Corel Draw 10:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/MrBrown5/Tutorial/saucer.cdr

For each tutorial i will release the original files.

Lobo

--------------------

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you need to include files for every single version of Corel Draw. Newer version can read the files created by older version, you know. [Smile]

(Unless, of course, there's some difference in drawing them that I'm not aware of 8))

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps