Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Star Chart (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Star Chart
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to think the Andor/Andoria issue is like Vulcan/Vulcanis. Only without one of them falling into total disuse.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fandom has always used Andor, but the studio always used Andoria, possibly in a childish move to invalidate fandom. IIRC, 'Andor' was only used once onscreen, probably a slip of the pen by some writer. So uhm, yeah. I agree with you.

I forgot about the Procyon V battle.. I know MinutiaeMan and Masao use yet another location of Andor. Did you use a real star?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Fandom has always used Andor, but the studio always used Andoria, possibly in a childish move to invalidate fandom. IIRC, 'Andor' was only used once onscreen, probably a slip of the pen by some writer. So uhm, yeah. I agree with you.

Acutally when referred to the planet Andor is used, but Andoria is used in connection with locations (Embassy, Academy of Arts IIRC)

quote:
I forgot about the Procyon V battle.. I know MinutiaeMan and Masao use yet another location of Andor. Did you use a real star?
In a case of extreme coincedence Dan Carlson placed Andor in the Zeta Tucanae system to have it closer to the Romulan boarder. However he placed Vulcan on Epsilon Eridani, as the Space Flight Chronology did [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It's used on DS9 a couple of times when describing potential Dominion targets- when Betazed fell in particular.

Trek biggest flub is constantly naming a race's star whatever the planet's called.
Silly.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
All the SFB ships suck bigtime.
I really think it's why the game was never too successful.

The game that's been in print continuously for nearly 30 years? [Eek!]

So which other Trek game has been successful if SFB hasn't? [Confused]

But, many of the ship designs surely do suck.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

It's used on DS9 a couple of time when describing potential Dominion targets- when Betazed fell in particular.

Trek biggest flub is constantly naming a race's star whatever the planet's called.
Silly.

I know I've said this before but it is possible for a planet/nation to have more than one name.
Look in an atlas someday, you'd be surprised at some of the navive names.
Likewise it's possible for the Federation to have "English friendly" or alternate translation names for planets.
Case in point: Earth (aka Terra, aka Sol III, Humania...ok I made that one up)

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course- I'm referring to the Bajorans (as example) calling their star "Bajor" like their planet, or worse still, a native race referring to their planet as some numeric designation (Kitan three or some nonsense).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just your friendly UT at work.

Probably most races are rather embarrassed to be forced to use the real, native name for their planet in interstellar public, and have it literally translated. After all, in 95% of the cases, the name will mean "dirt".

In fact, the UT is likely to have a special "proper name translation avoidance function" to steer around these embarrassing situations (the doctor must really hate being known as "feline predator's cardiac organ proverbial feuding family or gaelic for of the smug", for example).

Which in itself must cause some confusion at times: for example, the Troglytes of "Cloud Minders" weren't just an alien proper name like Kirk first thought, but a translated descriptive term...

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Identity Crisis:
quote:
All the SFB ships suck bigtime.
I really think it's why the game was never too successful.

The game that's been in print continuously for nearly 30 years? [Eek!]

So which other Trek game has been successful if SFB hasn't? [Confused]

But, many of the ship designs surely do suck.

It just wont die and they somehow set things up where they dont pay the $10K liscencing fee like FASA did.

Let me makea starship combat game without paying Paramount anything and I'll be sitting on a mountain of cash, the game will have amazing-professional- illustrations with bueatiful ship designs and the minis wont suck. [Wink]
Millions will play it.

That will be the measure of success. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...the doctor must really hate being known as 'feline predator's cardiac organ proverbial feuding family or gaelic for of the smug', for example..."

Actually, the original "Leonhard" meant "brave lion", not "lion-heart". You're thinking of King Richard ("cœur de lion").

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It needs a little flare (lol pun). Seriously though, it needs detail.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

It's used on DS9 a couple of times when describing potential Dominion targets- when Betazed fell in particular.
No, it wasn't "a couple of times." It was that one time as he said.

Nevertheless, I like "Andor" better, but it really doesn't make any difference. For some strange reason I always liked "Vulcanis" and "Kling" as well. I just really hope ENT never makes the Tellarite homeworld "Tellaria." (shudder)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Kling" was just horrible. They may as well have said "Klingonia".
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the tweaking you have done on your chart, although I would have definitely left out the non-canon references.

But one question (and no offense): Why is it that no fan chart I know includes the Sheliak Empire? It should be very easy to locate because Sheliak is a real star at the "western" border of the Federation. Even the disputed system Tau "Cygna" (there's no reason to believe it's not Tau Cygni mispronounced, because Cygna is just wrong Latin) is in the same direction. The best documented location of an alien empire is simply missing!

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was *supposed* to go to the Star Charts, after I'd worked out the problem of it lying behind the Cardassian/Ferengi/Tzenkethi "barrier" as viewed from Earth. It's just that Mandel had no time for beta-testing or last minute corrections...

I guess the main problem with the Sheliak is deciding whether they are a nearby or faraway race. Pretty much the same as with the Tholians; is their reputed power moderated by distance, since we see so little of them in the end? A chart extending all the way to the "famous" Cygnus stars would be a bit impractical from the "small Federation, roughly Okudaic speeds" doctrinal viewpoint.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.