Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » (UP3) Constellation Declassified!

Author Topic: (UP3) Constellation Declassified!
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beginning another round of declassifications is the Constellation. This write-up was done by Epoch, with a diagram by Lee.

Conjecture info for Constellation Class:

In the late 23rd century Starfleet realized the need for a ship specifically designed for long term deep space exploration. Given only this to go on, the Advanced Starship Design Bureau (ASDB) came up with a unique design. Departing from conventional structural designs the ASDB created a 4 nacelle ship. While this 4 nacelle design is no longer necessary, at the time it was needed to allow a ship to operate at great distances without the need for refueling. With this the premise for the Constellation Class was born.

Instead of being built around the concept of exploration the Constellation was built around long term deep space. The nacelles are the start and end points for this class with everything else placed as needed. The 4 nacelle design created a warp field which was not only more stable but easier to generate, this allowed the ship to travel at much higher speeds without straining the warp core. Attached to this new warp design was the most sophisticated sensor arrays of the time which were placed under the saucer section. These arrays and their position allowed the Constellation to completely scan a planet in 24 hours. Those were only preliminary scans which needed to be completed with more time dependent information. To accomplish that the Constellation carried multiple recoverable probes and the largest shuttle bay seen on a Federation vessel. The bay is located in the front portion of the saucer section allowing for easy launch and recovery. Due to the distance the Constellation was expected to be from help it is equipped with 8 type VI phaser banks and 3 torpedo launchers capable of firing a spread of 6 torpedoes. A standard crew for this class of ship was 150, this is smaller then a crew on a comparably sized ship. This is due to considerations taken for the crew itself, accommodations were increased to make the long term assignments easier. Quarters on the Constellation were larger then even those on a Constitution class. Amenities such as gymnasiums and recreation rooms were also increased in size.

The Constellation class did the job it was designed for and did it well for almost a century. While it has been slowly phased out of deep space missions as newer class ships have been brought into active duty, it still plays a role in the Federation.

Known Constellation class vessels:

U.S.S Constellation NCC-1974: Active

U.S.S Gettysburg NCC-3890: Decommissioned

U.S.S Hathaway NCC-2593: Decommissioned

U.S.S Magellan NCC-3069: Active

U.S.S Stargazer NCC-2893: Decommissioned

U.S.S Victory NCC-9754: Active

Available pictures: (1)

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I'd like the Constellation a whole lot more if the idiot who built the thing hadn't so majorly overgreebled it.

Good picture though. [Smile]

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rather enjoy the greebles. And I seriously doubt we can call the model builder an idiot seeing as he has (had) a job working on the Star Trek productions and none us do.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The individual in question is Greg Jein, although he based his work directly on a study model (the one from Picard's ready room) by Rick Sternbach.

Those idiots.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People are always forgetting those 5 single phaser turrets on the upper saucer near the rim.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez, forgive me for trying to inject some (admittedly horrible on further reflection) humor into the discussion... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Theoden, TTT

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in this case I'd have to say that details on this picture are kinda wrong - for example, VF-1A fuselage behind the bridge looks definitely wrong here. [Smile]

And, yup, there's no sign of those five turrets...

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say, I was quite pleased with that one.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... It is a piece of good work, of course... It's just it's not 100% greeble correct [Smile]

(And I'm would settle even for 90% [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Manticore
Member # 1227

Like I said, it's a great drawing of a cool-looking ship that managed to get (IMO) over-greeblied. I didn't really mean to be insulting. [Frown]

--------------------
-Theoden, TTT

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps