Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Excalibur bridge once again. (Page 13)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: USS Excalibur bridge once again.
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picard's most secret desires coming true, that is...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much of an imagination of 'ol Jean-Luc, it seems.

Insurrection shoud have been set during the Dominon war- the need for the planet to heal would have seemed more justified then and it would have explained the Enterprise's absence from all the major battles.

...though nothing excuses that joystick, ST:INN is still far superior to Generations.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Insurrection shoud have been set during the Dominon war- the need for the planet to heal would have seemed more justified then and it would have explained the Enterprise's absence from all the major battles."

Have you, perhaps, not seen it?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah Jason... Insurrection was set during the Dominion War.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nooo....it's after.
Riker says "During the war with the Dominion, the Son'A supplied the drug..." not "They are supplying our enemies with the drug..."
They're definitely talking about events in the past tense- it saved them from having to explain the war at all to the non-DS9 crowd.

It's about a year after the war ends chronologicly, from what I can tell.
Picard mentions how the federation was looking to make new pals after their losses in the war.
Not making new pals beacuse it's wartime- there is none of the urgentcy that wartime would envoke.

Anyone got a script?
I'll gladly be proven wrong, but it's not likely. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
RIKER
(reacts)
Look at this...

She stands, leaning over Riker's shoulder to see his computer, putting one arm on the desk...

RIKER (CONT'D)
'The Son'a have been suspected of producing mass quantities of the narcotic ketracel-white... their ships are rumored to be equipped with isolytic subspace weapons outlawed by the Second Khitomer Accord...'

Captain Serek
Member # 1038

- posted      Profile for Captain Serek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the beginning of the film, where the reception is taking place, Picard is mentioning something of the short aliens being inducted into the Federation because of the war.

--------------------
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis, and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik, and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

But OK, every reference to the Dominion might just be ambiguous enough to allow your interpretation, Jason, but it hardly seems like the obvious conclusion; that being, to my and as far as I know most minds is that it all takes place roughly where the DS9 and Voyager were when the film came out, which was 2375 as far as, for instance, the folks at Memory Alpha are concerned.

It's just that I've never seen someone take your position.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One simple fact everyone has forgotten was that all indications were that Worf was still stationed at DS9 when the movie takes place. Both Picard and Worf mentioned that they were going to swing back to DS9 to return Worf. Because of that, the movie has to take place during the war because as soon as the war ended Worf packed up and went with Martok to be an ambassador.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hmmm....you all have valid points.
My thinking is mainly because the utter lack of urgentcy (or any real sense that it's wartime at all- much less a war the Federation was losing most of the time and suffering weekly casualties- often in the thousands).

Why would Worf have been there during wartime at all? It sure does not match any point in DS9 continuity for him to have been away like that (unless it was some sort of leave following Jadzia's death- we sure never heard mention of it though).

Riker says "During the war with the Dominion, the Son'A supplied the drug..." not "They are supplying our enemies with the drug..."
They're definitely talking about events in the past tense- it saved them from having to explain the war at all to the non-DS9 crowd.

Oh.... lookie.

Riker mentions "the Diplomatic Corps is busy with Dominion negotiations" (that could go either way, really- either just after the war's conclusion or the "peace feelers" that Vreenak mentioned to Sisko in season six).

Picard: "In view of our losses to the Borg and Dominion, the council feels we need all the allies we can get."
That (to me) implies long-term losses (the Borg attack was three(?) years prior- giving audiences a tie-in with the last movie).
Besides, why would the federation bring in a low-tech race during the war? They'd be putting that entire culture's lives at risk of Dominion attack for nothing. There is also no reason for a race to join up during a horiffic war they cant really contribute to.

Later, Admiral Daugherty is convinced to aid Ruafo because "the federation is Old- it's been challenged by the Borg, the Dominion, The Girl Scouts..." he never mentions any ongoing war, nor does the Admiral say anything about it to Picard.
If he had made a case for saving thoudands of federation lives wounded in battle, it might have swayed Picard, instead, his pleas are for some "fountain of youth"- not to win a war or save the quadrant from destruction.

Crap- the lines about the Son'A supplying White are not consistant with the script (hell- in the script there's a prune-faced libraian on the Enterprise!?! Paper notepads?!?) . Too bad- the script gives much better background on the Son'A than the movie did.

Mabye someone can watch the movie and jot down the exact dialogue for us?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, those aliens aren't being made members, they're being made a "protectorate" -- under the Federation's protection, and with space set aside for their future expansion and exploitation, but still allowed to develop in their own way and their own time until such time as they petition for membership. Might be weeks, might be years -- or never.

Notice also in that very script that you linked to, Picard asks Worf how his wife is. If Jadzia's still alive, the war is definitely not over.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't Picard also pretty specifically say to Anij that his people are at war right now? It could be something a little more vague like "these are dangerous times for my people", but he definitely hints at an ongoing conflict that he feels he needs to be a part of.

There's an edited scene in Nemesis where Worf says something about diplomatic life not agreeing with him, explaining why he's back in Starfleet. Now... if Insurrection takes place a year after the war, Worf would have had to already gotten fed up with being an ambassador and returned to Starfleet. Why then would anyone still be surprised about it during Nemesis?

In the absence of any dates, we have to go with the intent of the writers. I don't see anything to suggest that they meant to set it anywhere other than in the then-current time frame during the war.

Yes, the script avoids mentioning the war in any great detail to avoid confusing the little people who didn't watch the series... but still.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

omi
Member # 1695

- posted      Profile for omi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thnik this discussion deserves it's own forum... it's a bit OT here, what do U think?

--------------------
Graphic, design, concepts, starsihp intrior's layouts, font, wallpapers, DVD covers and more ... browse ST Projects.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing you should know is that topics easily and very quickly get off-topic here.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:

Notice also in that very script that you linked to, Picard asks Worf how his wife is. If Jadzia's still alive, the war is definitely not over.

--Jonah

That's in the script only, I'm afraid.

As I mentioned, the movie would have been a hell of a lot better if they used more of the script (or did not edit out what they used).

I understand the writer's intent, but it's certainly not clear -or i'm dense as Neutronium.

Fuck you all in advance for the obvious retort that follows that last sentence. [Smile]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps