Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Excalibur bridge once again. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: USS Excalibur bridge once again.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I always thought that the TUC transporter room was just the Ent-D set with a big window stuck in it to make it look different.

It's been a while since I've watched The Undiscovered Country, but you're pretty much correct. They just took the TNG transporter set, swapped out the console graphics, and added an operator's booth. I can't remember if they repainted the room from the dark green color or not. I also think that they extended the set by creating a little hallway that goes from the isolinear control panels (the things that Data fiddled with in "Brothers", for example). Valeris emerges from there to tell Burke and Samno that they have business to attend to.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I can remember, TUC used a shitload of TNG sets.

The transporter room.
The set was (as we know) simply modified by putting a new pad on, a booth and that corridor. Also it was lit differntly.

Sickbay.
I don't think we saw much of it, but the biobed was from TNG, with a differnt cover on it.

Enginering.
JESUS! Where to begin? The warp core was slightly redressed (didn't it have bars around it?). That was it. Even the Okudagrams in the booth in at least one scene were the orange and purple ones from the E-D!

The corridors were from the E-D (altough the E-A probably had more claim to them, seeing as the E-D nicked that set from the E-nil as seen in TMP).

I think that the officers mess (where Scotty finds the suit in the air vent) was a redress of the obervation longe from the E-D (again lit more darkly) with a redress.

The turbolifts weren't TNG though. They used the old ones from TFF i think.

Thats what I remember - I'd be glad for additions/corretions in this case.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNG Sickbay, in addition to the TNG corridors, was I belive taken originally constructed for The Motion Picture. And the corridors recieved pretty heavy redressing, what with new sliding bulkhead doors, and overhead piping, plus new carpet and paint.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't part of TNG's main engineering set also a holdover from The Motion Picture? And the battle bridge (like many of the bridges used in TNG) is a holdover from the movie bridge set. Quick sidenote, wasn't the bridge rebuilt between TMP and The Wrath of Khan? I have a vague recollection of David Gerrold in his book saying the original movie bridge set was a solid structure while the set from TWoK was rebuilt as wedges. Mark Nguyen is probably the answer-man for this topic.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The presedent's office in TUC was ten forward.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TMP bridge was built in sections, but Bob Wise wanted an kind of claustrophobic Das Boot feel to the set, so he had it all bolted together for filming.

In TWOK, the set had been redisgined slightly, mainly by moving parts of the bridge (most noticably Spocks station form behind Kirks seat to his right).

Also, in TMP all of the screens were projections from behind, whereas in TWOK all of the screens had been replaced by real monitiors.

This is why the bridge was so dark in TMP, but could be lit up in further pictures.

One final point, the Reliant bridge was also a rearrangment of the TMP bridge (though to a more TOS type bridge), but does anybody know if the Grissom's bridge was made the same way?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. It was also basically left that way for the set's appearance as the Saratoga in the following film, then parts of it were restored to be all shiny for the Enterprise-A for its cameo appearance. Shortly thereafter, the set was cannibalized for the Enterprise-D battle bridge and further guest appearances on TNG.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then didn't it become Data's lab? And eventually the bridge to the Prometheus amongst other things?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

Here we go - lots of bridge plans I found googling.

Not only does it hae the grissom, it also has the Excalibur in here too! Top marks.

The big question though? What's going on with the second officers console on the Hathaway? Was Worf just being lazy that eppisode, or was he fed up with standing for a 6 hour shift?

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
Here we go - lots of bridge plans I found googling.

The front door to these is at http://www.lcars-interface.de/

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

Good man! Same to whoever made the site!

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Yamato fantasy bridge is pretty cool. I like most of his arrangements for ready rooms, conference lounges, airlocks, and the surrounding corridors. Some of the Oberth bridges seems rather grand for such a small ship, though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Small thoughts: Did the Hathaway really have the captain's chair in such an odd position? (I guess, since this is one of the few TNG seasons I've bought on DVD ((Ah, for the days of financial aid checks and few fiscal responsibilities.)) I could just go look for myself.)

I also like those consoles that are standing, for no apparent purpose, in the hallways.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the hallways of the Hathaway? Where?

I think we've studied the Hathaway's bridge before (as part of the TABASCO discussion, I believe) and as I recall, yes, the CO's station is in that odd position with an Ops-style console right next to it. I think the best shot of it is right when they beam aboard and Worf sits down. As I recall, he wipes off the console and starts punching buttons. Riker sits down next to him.

Crap... am I going to have to dig my tape out tonight? I think I am.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are hallways right and left. The one on the right has stairs leading down, while on the left there is a turbolift and a toilet. I guess the one on the left is more of an alcove. Foyer? Anyway, they both have boxes in them identical to the boxes representing consoles on the bridge. I guess one must be "stair control."
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.