Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Excalibur bridge once again. (Page 8)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: USS Excalibur bridge once again.
omi
Member # 1695

- posted      Profile for omi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I konw, I don't like it either. I'm thinking how to change it, to some sort of TNG order (or whatever). Where First officer and Counsellor have their own seats on the bridge. But I think there is not so much space in the center as on Galaxy, and if they seat elsewere, they will be too far away from the captain to advise him...

image with three central chairs, but the two will see just the operators of fly control and OPS. So I think the version with 2 chairs is better. Only thing I don't know, where should seat the counsellor... any idea?

--------------------
Graphic, design, concepts, starsihp intrior's layouts, font, wallpapers, DVD covers and more ... browse ST Projects.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Screw the councilor's seat- unless they offer some strategic advantage (as Troi did) they have no place on the bridge.

I'd just have the captain's chair slightly raised with the XO's seat to the right of it (possibly with a small system's display like Riker sometimes used).

While we almost never saw it this way, most of the time, the XO and captain would not seve at the same time so dual seating is not a huge concern.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

omi
Member # 1695

- posted      Profile for omi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know. But both chairs don't have to be occupated in the same time. Only in emergency situations.

As I said earlier, I develop this for my friend for a game and he wanted two command chairs (like on Excalibur). Later he told me, his counsellor asked him, where he would seat on the bridge. I answered there is no place for a counsellor on the bridge and he can just stand there like Bones did in TOS [Smile] Well, if they solve some problems, they will do so in some lounge or another diplomatic apartment.

I just wanted someone other's opinion [Smile]

Does anyone have some opinion for the other rooms? Or it's OT here [Wink]
| bridge | engineering | sickbay |

--------------------
Graphic, design, concepts, starsihp intrior's layouts, font, wallpapers, DVD covers and more ... browse ST Projects.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) I love the bridge general layout! The twin turbolift stations are a bit odd, though: I understand that one of them is atop the vertical shaft, while the other is a sort of a "side track", like in the E-D bridge - but the exit to the lobby from the bowmost one is a bit awkward, with the narrow foyer and stairs and all.

Could the bowmost lift station be rotated clockwise or something, to provide a more direct access to the lobby? Perhaps the whole starboard lobby needs a better raison d'etre anyway. This is the room through which visiting dignitaries and whatnot march from the turbolift to the briefing room. A bridge crew galley and head isn't the first thing I'd place there. (I'm at loss with other ideas, though. An office of some sort, with a check-in desk for thpse VIPs?)

Dunno. The rest of the layout makes excellent use of the existing windows. But in this little lobby, the turbolift is so close to the windows that obvious problems arise.

2) Engineering looks fine. I trust an isolation door goes into that gap in the circular screen around the warp core in times of emergency?

Perhaps it would be nice to show the necessary workshops and spares stowage facilities around the engineering area this once?

3) Sickbay also could use "logistics spaces". The storage room is fine, but the wardroom might benefit from one of its own. And it would be difficult to navigate those coffins out of the morgue if the need ever arose. A slightly wider doorway? Rearranged internal orientation so that the coffin long axis matches the doorway to begin with? Reoriented/broadened corridor outside? An integrated corpse disposal chute?

Timo Saloniemi

omi
Member # 1695

1) I'll try to rotate the turbolift a bit, to make it more "symetric" to the opposite doors to bridge. The lobby has to be lowered (because the shape of the outer hull) and I don't see more practical way than use stairs. I know that head and crew galley is not very nice on the way to lounge, but even on Ent-D there is the crew's head directly on the bridge. I think it should be somewere near the bridge. And the galley is use for changing crew. (Never wonder from were come the crew to change posts with those who just decided to go to away mission? Well, it's from this lobby.) I think it's usefull to place it there.

I've never seen any check-in desk for people entering the conference lounge.

2) Yes, there are isolation door for emergency situations (sliding down like on Ent-D).

I designed just the engineering, not whole deck with necessary rooms around it. It will come by the time as a simple schema of whole deck.

3) I think the ward should be a bit isolated (not like on Ent-D, but like Ent-A) and there are all needed supplies in that room already. If there is need for sthg else, it will be brought from the storage through the lab.

I know there is not enough space in the morgue. The idea was, that it's just "storage". (Like on Voy) Corpses are transported there. But you're right the doors should be wider. (At least to the lab.)

I'll make the adjustments... [Cool]

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it alot, thougha couple of things bug me. I don't think the side view is quite accurate. The tactical console is curved on the top view but doesn't really show any sign of curvature on your side view.

I really dig the ready room with the Janeway style lounge seating, though I'm wondering how many times brand new bridge officers accidentally walk into the Ready Room trying to get to the conference lounge.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

omi
Member # 1695

The sideview is just the cutaway. So it's cut in the middle of that tactical console. I did it just to have an idea of free space there.

There is label on every door. So I don't think the'll make such a mistake to enter door with label "ready room" when they wanna go to the conference lounge. I don't think they are so stupid [Wink] If they didn't look to the plans before, they can just ask [Smile]

[ August 10, 2005, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: omi ]

--------------------

omi
Member # 1695

OK, I rotated the turbolift, so there is a bit more space in the entrance, I also made wider doors to the morgue in sickbay layout. Oh, I also deleted the lab table in morgue, to do there a bit more space.

| bridge | engineering | sickbay |

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Omi... although two Ready Rooms though seems a lot. Perhaps it should be a weapons locker or just a lounge for the bridge officers. Or move the conference area to one of the ready rooms and make an officers lounge like the refit Enterprise.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Captain Serek
Member # 1038

- posted      Profile for Captain Serek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work and I agree, one ready room is enough, unless the XO has power as well. I like the 3 chair variant, I am sure a one chair variant would also be easy to do. Also, you can do more than the Excalibur bridge variants, since you have the basic elements like the captain's chair, one can do a first officer and maybe even a counselor or variants thereof. The tactical station can be more than just the horseshoe from TNG, as I said, mixing and matching to create an original bridge can be fun and perhaps a bit daunting. Keep up the good work.

--------------------
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis, and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik, and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.

omi
Member # 1695

There is just ONE ready room! On the right (starboard) side is "crew galley" or I don't know how to name it - "bridge crew's lounge" with head. (I wouldn't place 4 toilets into ready room [Big Grin] ) It's just a place through you go from bridge to conference lounge. Not second ready room!

Well I think about delete the front console, move the flight_control/OPS console a bit front and make so a bigger place for three chairs.

The tacitcal console is not horshoe from TNG, it's bended console on the railing.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't need FOUR toilets on the bridge. For no more than 7-8 people on the bridge at one time, there's no chance that half of them would be in the can at the same time. In the office building where I work, on my entire floor there are five toilets plus two urinals total for over forty people.

I'd recommend shrinking the head to two seats plus one or two sinks, bringing it even with the Galaxy class. Then, you can swap the locations of the head and lounge, giving the latter more room and tucking the head into the corner. The upper deck alcove can then be expanded a little more to give the people up there a little more room when exiting the bridge, so they won't bump into people waiting for the lift. The downside of this is that the head would then have a more spectacular view than the lounge.

Good work though! I'm really liking how you're scaling everything.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

omi
Member # 1695

Thanx Mark, I was surprised when I found your bridge designs year or so ago, so I knew, I'm not alone in designing, but I was looking forward to see some new ones and none comes [Frown]

I'd like to swap the head and the lounge, as you suggest, but there are windows! I don't place two windows into head and none to lounge... The windows possition is taken from the model.

Well you suggested to reduce 4 toilets to 2 and add 2 urinals. Feminists wouldn't be happy from you [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Anyway, there are toilets for whole deck 1, it means people on the bridge, in lounge and conference lounge. I don't think it's too much [Wink]

I have now another Idea. Separate the turbolifts. And the one move opposite (next to ready room).

And thanx a lot.

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There should probably be a stool or something for the tactical officer. There is no reason to deny the person a seat for such a long shift.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell that to owners of fast food joints. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps