Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » (UP3) Galaxy Declassified! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: (UP3) Galaxy Declassified!
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Galaxy class write-up by Matrix. No diagrams. (Are you guys beginning to get the hint we didn't get very far with diagrams?)

Conjecture

In the 2340�s, Starfleet was ready to commit itself to design awhole new primary class of starship. The current primary starship was the Ambassador class which the only loss was the USS Enterprise-C herself. Granted the class was more than equal to any of the other power�s counterparts. The second batch of the Ambassador class was almost complete and it was thought that it would be a good time for a �Fleetwide Replacement� which would last twenty to thirty years to finish. In 2343, ASDB called the primary class of this future batch of classes the Galaxy class Project. The objectives were set to have a sustainable warp speed of Warp 9.2 and Warp 9.6 for twelve hours. Also the ability to operate independently for seven years at Warp 6. A later addition was so that families could come aboard for extended missions.

Construction for six ships were authorized for construction, the first three were built at Utopia and the other three at the San Francisco yards in 2350. Another six were planned and built to their speaceframes only then broken up and sent to secret locations. ASDB already knew that this ship would be very large perhaps larger than the Ambassador class. But a later addition to the mission statement was to have enough room for families after some objections for such a ship to be away for years without the crew members seeing their families. This one addition made the ship twice as large as before.

The preliminary design looked closely like the Ambassador class with minor differences. The purpose was to show what could be done with current designs. A year later the design progressed to where the class was taking her own different shape form the first preliminary design. Which included the first time the saucer section was ellipical over the standard cicular shaped designs of previous classes. The 'neck' was designed as later addition to the mission profile to be able to seperate and dock the saucer section without the need of a spacedock. In addition, without the bulk of the saucer, the engineering section could be more maneuverable than before, however loss of the two largest phaser arrays and the extra fusion reactors, made later starship captain question using the engineering section alone in a battle. Originally the ship was going to have two torpedo tubes fore and aft, however in 2349, a new torpedo launcher was designed that could do the work of ten single fire torpedo tubes which increased the combat capability of the ship. The deflector dish was redesigned entirely between 2347 and 2348 to be able to accomodate science equipment and power distribution effectively. ASDB was having great difficulty in building the new warp nacelles. In 2349, the materials building the warp nacelles proved to be unstable at higher warp speeds and would need to replaced within ten years of operation. This slowed down the fabrication of the nacelles themselves and pushed back the completion of the class by a year. 3 years later due to the very advanced watp coil design, the fabrication of it was delayed until the furnace facility was properly modified to be able to build the warp coils, it takes four years to deliver the coils for completion of the warp engine and nacelle assembly, by that time the warp core testing was nearing completion. A few months later, the USS Galaxy is launched from orbital dock on maneuvering thrusters.

The USS Galaxy was commissioned first in 2357 without a period of refit and testing. However she was tested thoroughly until 2363, where the third, the famed USS Enterprise-D was commissioned. At that time it was decided that the Galaxy class was thoroughly tested. The remainder three were commissioned less than two years afterwards.

The original mission for the Galaxy class was to explore nonstop for several years in uncharted space. The purpose was that the Oberth class was far too limited for they have slow speeds, short range, and weapons are very weak. The Ambassador class was needed elsewhere and were not fully equipped to handle long missions like the Galaxy class was without a major refit. However the Galaxy class were withdrawn from deep space and kept towards the core of the Federation after a few incidents from within. Most notably was that the USS Enterprise-D made first offical contact with the Borg in 2365. This prompted Starfleet to bring the incompleted Galaxy class spaceframes out and finished. Unfortunately they were not nearly completely enough to help the fleet at Wolf 359 to stop the Borg. They were completed in 2369 and a further size were authorized for construction. By this time, Starfleet was able to cut down on the time to construct such a large vessel, for it took the USS Enterprise ten years to be constructed and another three for refits and crew assignments. It took the USS Odyssey six years and less than nine months for refit and crew assignments.

Critics often criticized the Galaxy class as �putting too many eggs in one basket� and �too large for its mission�. It was only 2365 when the first was lost, the Yamato due to a computer virus from a alien probe. Many believe than even a Sovereign class ship could not defend against it. The next two, the USS Odyssey and the USS Enterprise were both in combat situations. The USS Odyssey as the first to fight the Dominion attacks ships. Despite her being far more powerful than any of the ships, she was quickly damaged and later destroyed by a Dominion ship ramming her. The Enterprise was an embarrassment to the Federation. The Federation�s flagship fighting a twenty year old faulty renegade Klingon bird of prey. Even though having her shields easily pierced, it should have not been such a problem to destroy the ship with brute strength. Yet the Klingon ship though destroyed caused a warp core breach that destroyed the engineering section and the saucer did the first saucer surface landing.

Starfleet withdrew most of the Galaxy class starships for a class-wide upgrade. Some of these involved adding a phaser strip on each nacelle for additional phaser coverage. Others also involved a �cobra neck� which marked the uprated Galaxy class that could to due to the latest warp propulsion technology could go to Warp 9.9 for twelve hours, nearly 60% speed increase with enhanced shields that are resistant to poloron beams and Borg weapons that originally could pass through shields. Prior to the Dominion War, Galaxy class ships were being built with 65% of their interiors empty which saved time to decrease time down to 4 years. For the ships already built, families were taken home for their safety and the space was converted for troop space. The ships already under construction when the war started, were accelerated, brought times down again from four years to three years. It was felt that the war would not last long enough, so after each Galaxy class ship was completed the space was used to construct far smaller ships like the Defiant, Sabre, or even the Akira class. In less than ten years, the total Galaxy class ships in the fleet numbered only 5 in 2366 and in 2376 it was 24. No critic now will say anything bad about the class because of their outstanding success against the Dominion ships. To see the ships in a fleet worried the Vorta, even though their battlecruisers were equals to them. Besides the Nebula class, they were the only large ships built in enough numbers to have each separate fleet have at least three or four of them, usually leading the fleet.

Ship Listings
USS Galaxy NCC-70637 -Active
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D Destroyed at Verdian 3
USS Challenger NCC-71099 -Active
USS Yamato NCC-71807 -Destroyed by alian probe
USS Oddssey NCC-71832 -Rammed and destroyed by a Dominion ship
USS Magellan NCC-71848 -Active
USS Venture NCC-71854 -Active
USS Trinculo NCC-71867 -Active

Does anyone see that from Yamato to Trinculo or even the Venture it is almost chronological Also if it is an entire block the it would be about 60 ships. If we start from the Oddssey it would be 35-36 ships. What's the plan?

Class Info
Classification: Explorer
Production Run: 2357 to present
Production Base: ASDB Integration Facility, Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards, Mars that's it?
Crew: 1,012 officers and crew, 15,000 evacuation limit
Length: 642.5 meters (2,100 feet)
Beam: 463.73 meters (1,541 feet)
Height: 195.26 meters (640 feet)
Decks: 42 decks
Mass: 4,500,000 metric tonnes
Cruising Warp Speed: Warp Factor 9.2; Warp Factor 9.6 (Uprated)
Maximum Warp Speed: Warp Factor 9.6; Warp Factor 9.9 (Uprated)
Weapons: 12 Type X Phaser arrays, 2 torpedo tubes, 255 torpedoes
Anything else?

Canon Info

The Galaxy class was featured prominately in Star Trek The Next Generation for the entire series run. Also in 1992, Sternbach and Okuda released the Star Trek The Next Generation Technical Manual, which describes the Galaxy class in detail. In DS9, the Galaxy class showed us that there are perhaps more than the initial six and possbily more than the twelve that were mentioned in the Technical Manual. Which leads us to believe there might be more.

Also in DS9, when the Venture was first shown, had the phaser arrays from the Future Enterprise In All Good Things still equiped on the nacelles. Also later in the Dominion War, prior to retaking DS9, the Galaxys there had a darker color which was some like to call "cobra strips".

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you could have edited it so nobody saw my comments...

My grammer sucks in this article.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

God of your Universe
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for God of your Universe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wtf are cobra strips?

--------------------
My friend played russian roulette with a shotgun last night. I found him this morning. Its sad. I think I'm going to follow in his footsteps....
[email protected]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God of your Universe: the cobra strips are what he's calling the dark areas on the necks of the Galaxy-class starships in DS9's "Favor the Bold". To see a good picture, go here, scroll down to the Galaxy-class entry, and click on the right-most picture under "Annotations" for that entry (Bernd still has linking straight to the picture disabled, I think). You can see clearly that the two Galaxy-class starships parked at that starbase have necks that darker than the rest of the ship, not caused by shadows, and resemble the shape and color of a cobra's head.

Matrix: Yeah, it needs a little clean-up, but I think it's pretty good. I take it you have a couple issues with how the Enterprise-D met her end, huh? [Wink]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's not nice to bash, but rather than refer to you as "God of your Universe", I'll probably just call you "Newbie Fuck".

Good question though.

Welcome to Flare.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pleasent
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Krenim:
...No diagrams. (Are you guys beginning to get the hint we didn't get very far with diagrams?)

WFT???
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Pleasent"? "WFT"? We have got to get Jason out of here - he's contagious!

B.J.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
WFT???

It's okay, Balaam. I still love you even though Uncle Krenim doesn't. Excellent work on the diagrams.
God of your Universe
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for God of your Universe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I know it's not nice to bash, but rather than refer to you as "God of your Universe", I'll probably just call you "Newbie Fuck".

Good question though.

Welcome to Flare.

Ha, you know I specifically chose this name in hopes you, or someone like you would say something about it. [Razz]

Thanks for the welcome

--------------------
My friend played russian roulette with a shotgun last night. I found him this morning. Its sad. I think I'm going to follow in his footsteps....
[email protected]

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa there. "Uncle Krenim" apparantly needs to explain something.

When I say "no diagram," that doesn't imply that there wasn't one done. It's simply that I couldn't find one. UP3 wasn't anywhere near as organized as it should have been, and stuff got lost. Furthermore, the project dragged on for so long that some stuff simply got forgotten about.

The diagrams in question that BX did were not in my UP3 folder, and the diagrams weren't listed as being done in the super-secret UP3 Assignment thread in the super-secret UP3 Forum. Had I decided to be more thorough (and I suppose I should have been, I'm just lazy that way), I could have found that BX did post these diagrams in the UP3 Forum, but that they were done so long ago that Flare had been updated and the links no longer worked.

BX has apparantly taken my paltry attempts at humor regarding the lack of diagrams in this round of threads the wrong way. No offense meant, BX. Have a cookie or whatever sugary treat you prefer. [Wink]

And in the future, if anybody who was doing diagrams for these articles happens to notice that theirs is missing, please do post them.

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
It's okay, Balaam. I still love you even though Uncle Krenim doesn't. Excellent work on the diagrams.

Thank you, Siggy. It's all I wanted really.
quote:
Originally posted by Krenim:
BX has apparantly taken my paltry attempts at humor regarding the lack of diagrams in this round of threads the wrong way. No offense meant, BX. Have a cookie or whatever sugary treat you prefer.

Oooh, no wait. A cookie! I wasn't offended really. It's just I spent hours lining up all those bloody windows and, godamnit, someone was going to see them.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope someone's got copies of the diagrams I did, because as it stands the HD that's in my main PC (the one in storage for the past year and a bit) appears knackered, so I may have lost everything. For the most part it's no big deal - losing all my recent email back in January has resigned me to the fact that all my older email on the main computer may be gone as well - since in a rare bout of prescience I made sure to back up my personal digital photos to CD before I went to New Zealand.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

Lee: After browsing through what I've got, I have found diagrams from you for the following classes.

Constellation
Miranda
Norway
NX (coop with Bernd)
Oberth
Saber
Soyuz
Steamrunner

Sound about right?

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think so. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.