Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Horizon/Archon Class Oddities. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Horizon/Archon Class Oddities.
ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm working on a 3d model of the USS Horizon and
USS Archon class starships. I'm using a scan I
was sent of two pages out of what I think is the
"Heavy Cruiser Evolution" plans. This version of
the Horizon has a sensor dish on the aft part
of the secondary hull.

Given that these classes were supposed to be the
immediate predecessors to the Constitution Class,
where would a suitable location for the hangarbay be? In the forward part of the secondary hull or
somewhere in the primary hull?

Another oddity I noticed was the idea that the
USS Horizon class ships were supposed to be the first class of vessels to mount the PB-18 warp nacelles. These nacelles are supposed to be 160 meters long on a vessel that's supposed to be 200
meters long.

I realized that the source of this data may have
been early data given out to prospective authors
by the production crew prior to the filming of
"The Cage". At that time, the Enterprise herself
was supposed to be a 200 meter ship, with a crew
of 203.

After "The Cage", Gene decided to double the size of the ship and double it's crew. I'm not sure if this happened before the filming of "Where no man has gone before" or after, I suspect before. Either way, we now have a ship that's twice the size of the class that was apparently refit to Constitution specs, because
there wasn't time for the publishers of the fan
based material to go back and change thier works.

My solution has been to toss out the 180 meters and make the USS Horizon much larger. I've scaled the model to my USS Enterprise so that the PB-18's on the Horizon are about equal to the length of the PB-47s.

Thanks!

Christopher

Capt_Frank_Hollister
Member # 1639

- posted      Profile for Capt_Frank_Hollister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any pictures?

--------------------
If the crew discover I'm really just Dennis the donut boy, I'm finished.

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capt_Frank_Hollister:
Have any pictures?

Not yet, I just lost my website and I'm still
looking for a place to put them. You can find my
finished models on www.orbithangar.com.
Try this:

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchauth.cfm?search=christophert

Thanks,
Christopher

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, the reply box has wrapping lines. You don't have to hit the enter key unless you actually want to start a new line.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TrekBBS search is disabled right now (again!), but aridas sofia (whose made the Evolution Charts and the Federation Recognition Chart) posted his new and improved Horizon/Archon class a few months ago. It's more detailed, fits better into the big scheme of things, and answers your question: a shuttlebay hangar is present in the aft secondary hull, in roughly the same place as on the Connies.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it this assumes that thr Horizon and the Archon were not Daedalus Class ships.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
TrekBBS search is disabled right now (again!), but aridas sofia (whose made the Evolution Charts and the Federation Recognition Chart) posted his new and improved Horizon/Archon class a few months ago.

Thanks, Harry. Maybe I'll post the question over there too. With the plans I'm working off,
any hangarbay in the secondary hull would be forward like the FJ Federation Class Dreadnought.

Christopher

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I take it this assumes that thr Horizon and the Archon were not Daedalus Class ships.

No Aban. While the model on Sisko's desk might
be a Daedalus Class (I don't watch TNG, DS9, etc),
from what I've seen on the internet, the Daedalus
class is half the size of a Horizon class, with
a lot less crew. See my first post about where
that data came from.

My plans show that the USS Constellation, NCC-1017, and the Archon Class USS Republic, NCC-1371 were converted to Constitution Class specs. The
Archon class are physically the same as the Horizon, but thier interiors are layed out to give them longer endurance.

Christopher

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without pictures, I'm having a real hard time picturing what you're talking about.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

quote:
Without pictures, I'm having a real hard time picturing what you're talking about.

Okay, I'm borrowing some space. The first file is
a scan of the prints, it's a 700k file so beware!

http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/phoenixflightserv/Horizon2.bmp

I'm not sure who is the author of these prints, so if someone can verify that I'd appreciate it so
I can properly credit them.

The second is a render of the model so far:
http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/phoenixflightserv/Horizon1.jpg

Christopher

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay.. search is still down, so I might as well post aridas' new and improved Horizon (I hope you don't mind, aridas!). The secondary hull and nacelles have been completely redesigned. And here's the Constellation from a few years later (prior to being used as a testbed for Constitution).

And finally, as an answer to your question, the shuttlebay appears on this sketch.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Okay.. search is still down, so I might as well post aridas' And finally, as an answer to your question, the shuttlebay appears on this sketch.

Thanks, Harry! I can see where he was going with
it now. I was actually considering doing a version of the USS Republic with an original Horizon secondary hull and a new Constitution
style primary hull. I'm glad to see I wasn't that far off!

Christopher

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Hmmm... doesn't look all that different from the Daedalus.

On Christopher's version, I guess I just don't understand why there's such a long neck with such a small secondary hull. Why would they not fill that space up with more usuable room?

Aridas' version does a little better in that regard.

With regards to your model, Chistopher, the nacelle struts seem a touch wide. On the schematic, the struts are about as wide as the small cylanderish part attached to the front of the big cylanderish part of the secondary hull. Yours seem a bit wider. And they just look too wide and too thick for that design, IMO.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It occurs to me that, since this is really about purely speculative designs, it probably ought to be in the Designs Forum...
ChristopherT
Member # 1634

quote:
Hmmm... doesn't look all that different from the Daedalus.

On Christopher's version, I guess I just don't understand why there's such a long neck with such a small secondary hull. Why would they not fill that space up with more usuable room?

Aridas' version does a little better in that regard.

With regards to your model, Chistopher, the nacelle struts seem a touch wide. On the schematic, the struts are about as wide as the small cylanderish part attached to the front of the big cylanderish part of the secondary hull. Yours seem a bit wider. And they just look too wide and too thick for that design, IMO.

Thanks, TSN!

In regards to your first question, if I knew
who did the plans I could probably speculate. On
the second question, I agree that the nacelles on
the model are a little too wide. I cobbed them from my Ptolemy tug model and haven't switched them out for a smaller set yet. [Smile]

Based on Aridas' current work, I'm almost considering modifying my USS Enterprise model by
removing the dish, replacing the PB-47's with my
PB-18s and adding the spherical primary hull.

Christopher

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps