Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Horizon/Archon Class Oddities. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Horizon/Archon Class Oddities.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mean the nacelles themselves, I mean the struts that connect them to the secondary hull through which the plasma counduits run.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I don't mean the nacelles themselves, I mean the struts that connect them to the secondary hull through which the plasma counduits run.

I did say nacelles didn't I? I cobbed the pylons from my Ptolemy model and they are a little off. The nacelles were actually done by another modeler at my request, he's much better at pre-TOS nacelles than I am. So far!

Christopher

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said you agreed that your nacelles were too wide and that you got them from the Ptolemy, but I'm not talking about the nacelles. I'm talking about the struts. The nacelles are fine.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChristopherT:
I cobbed the pylons from my Ptolemy model and they are a little off.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but he said "nacelles" the first time. As he acknowledges above.
aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChristopherT:

I'm not sure who is the author of these prints, so if someone can verify that I'd appreciate it so I can properly credit them.

I did 'em.

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aridas:
I did 'em.

Thank you, Aridas. The work is excellent and I'm sure the entire set is fantastic. I'm still leaning toward finishing the model using the older hull style. It's growing on me!

Christopher

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the re-interpretation, Aridas. It is not hard to imagine that Sisko's desktop model is just an approximate model of this "true" Horizon (even if it was intended to be a still different design). And with Jefferies' original sketches that were to fit with a crew of 200 (just like mentioned for the Daedalus in "Power Play") it feels better to have a larger ship. Maybe 200m long?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we're talking about the Horizon. About the model on Sisko's desk: Was he or was he not supposed to have served on that ship at some earlier point in his SF career?

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it, the Daedalus class were all retired before the 23rd C. If Sisko had served on one he'd have to be around 200 years old at the youngest by the start of DS9. And very incompetent if he only reached Commander after a 180 year career in SF.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though hardly canon, I've seen a few books imply that there is a Daedalus or two in service as training ships.
aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a WIP of the Horizon as I had her envisioned at launch, around 2190. Also, two variants within the class from 2190-2210. Finally, the larger Archon as I saw her refit around 2245.

Eventually I'll add the Archon at launch circa 2210, and the Horizon class as refit, also around 2245.

http://home.comcast.net/~aridas/Horizon-Archon_Comparison.png

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

aridas
Member # 1051

I've recently updated these Horizon and Constellation illustrations for the new Federation reference website. Here is the link to one of the new illustrations:

http://home.comcast.net/~aridas/Constellation-comparison.jpg

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice. I like the design evolution from a sherical "saucer" to a traditional saucer. I think I like the original " as built 2213" look the best, with the exception of the deflector. It looks weird.

Oh, and....

-

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it too, but it seems like there should be something in the middle - a flattened sphere or something?

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps