Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Horizon/Archon Class Oddities. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Horizon/Archon Class Oddities.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assumed that although it was originally designed with a spherical primary hull, there was an "in between" design of another class ( Like Masao's Muskova), with a flattened sphere, that lead to the design being changed sometime between the time it was originally designed and the time it was launched.

Or, there could have been a new Federation member added sometime in the four years between design and launch that contributed something important ( like saucer shaped primary hulls) to Fed starship design, again leading to the design change.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some of the designs I have leading from spheres to saucers.

Here the sphere is flattened, a little:

http://home.comcast.net/~aridas/cheron-launch.jpg

This experimental design tries out a proto-saucer:

http://home.comcast.net/~aridas/eagle-side.jpg

It leads to this familiar design, a forerunner of the Constellation:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n167/aridas_sofia/trek/Tritium_Bonaventure.jpg

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It leads to this familiar design, a forerunner of the Constellation:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n167/aridas_sofia/trek/Tritium_Bonaventure.jpg

Ah, the "first ship with warp drive". [Wink]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, but these always screamed 'Bad Flash Gordon' to me a lot more than Trek. The extra fins and more 'toonish' proportions of a lot of parts are what does it for me. We lose a lot of the elegance that defines the Enterprise with them. :S

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A biplane is less streamline than a monoplane, and many monoplanes were less elegant than the jets that followed them.

That's the kind of thing that is being communicated here.

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not saying you're 'wrong', as it's purely a matter of aesthetics... but I just never liked the more 'fins and bulbs' approach to the pre-TOS ships.

I figured that earlier ships would appear to be less geometrically complex, rather than more so.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That makes sense to me. I'd think the early, pre-TOS designs would be boxy and ugly. But then again you can't put an ugly ship on the screen and expect people to like it [Wink]
Vanguard
Member # 1780

Worked for TNG didn't it? [Smile]

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And for Voyager. [Razz]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

aridas
Member # 1051

quote:
Originally posted by Vanguard:
I'm not saying you're 'wrong', as it's purely a matter of aesthetics... but I just never liked the more 'fins and bulbs' approach to the pre-TOS ships.

I figured that earlier ships would appear to be less geometrically complex, rather than more so.

That's fair, and if I was going purely by a concern for aesthetics I wouldn't have approached it this way. I had a very clearly worked out idea of how warp drive evolved from the 1980s to the 2260s, and the look of the tech was made to work with that. The only other thing that guided it was that "Buck Rogers" idea you mentioned above -- that if Star Trek was made in the 1960s and was influenced by 1960s thoughts of what the future might look like, then the tech preceding it could use earlier ideas about what the future might look like as a way to set it apart. No rockets and flying saucers, but rather larger intercoolers for bulbous, less efficient warp nacelles that hint at the big fins from 1940s rockets.

In the end it's just one person's aesthetic choice, and to each his own.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vanguard:
Worked for TNG didn't it? [Smile]

Wut!?

quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
And for Voyager. [Razz]

Kill me if you must, Flareites - I like the Intrepid class design.
aridas
Member # 1051

So do I.

Except for the rotating nacelles.

aridas no like rotating nacelles.

Rotating nacelles BAD.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

They don't rotate. They flap, like a pretty bird... [Wink]

--------------------

-George Carlin

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they rotate? So Intrepid Class has a really fast reverse? that's like Warp Blast deflectors?

*snickers* say that to a true trekkie nerd and watch their eye balls explode when they think about that term... [Big Grin]

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

It's still rotation, just not along the x-axis. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps