Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Horizon/Archon Class Oddities. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Horizon/Archon Class Oddities.
Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the nacelles would REVOLVE, not ROTATE. [Smile] They're outside the axis, you see...

But, I admit, I did get the strangest image of the Voyager's nacells spinning along the yaw there for a bit.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:

quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
And for Voyager. [Razz]

Kill me if you must, Flareites - I like the Intrepid class design.
I think it's main problem was that the nacelles were too small. I mean I understand they were trying to say that technology had improved to a point where they didn't need as large nacelles as the Galaxy Class... but it just aesthetically made Voyager a little 'front-heavy'.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, it did look a little like a duck with a big face and eeny little legs. That's what made the landing capability so...silly. They could have at least mentioned tractor beams or something holding the saucer up. (Actually they'd need that to hold the whole ship up; those little struts surely couldn't.)

Vanguard: OK...you have me beat on technicalities [Smile]

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the 'swinging nacelles' of the Voyager only bugged me in that they ALWAYS swung to 'warp position', and were in that same 'warp position' regardless of what warp they were going.

Since impulse doesn't CARE about warp dynamics, wouldn't it have made more sense to JUST design the ship with the warp engines ALREADY in the 'warp position' and forget the swinging feature?

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a two-foot model of Voyager once that I built shoddily; the nacelles on the model could be swung down as well. I don't know whether that was the original intention and it just never got shown, or what.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the landing thing, surely you are away of a centre of gravity. Take your two-foot model of Voyager and balance it on your fingers in the area where the landing struts are. It will balance perfectly.

Also, in-universe, the mass of the saucer is offset by the mass of the warp coils (which are said to be the densest part of the ship).

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

They're all way on the back of the engineering hull...the thing is front-heavy. Unless the warp coils are *really* dense [Razz] Empty plastic models don't really extrapolate to full ships with stuff in them, I mean.
OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vanguard:
Actually, the nacelles would REVOLVE, not ROTATE. [Smile] They're outside the axis, you see...

But, I admit, I did get the strangest image of the Voyager's nacells spinning along the yaw there for a bit.

Don't start talking about Intrepids and rotating nacelles or we'll have Escallum in here moaning about Nebula's and trying to talk about using pens to make fully rotating nacelles. [Wink]
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
They're all way on the back of the engineering hull...the thing is front-heavy. Unless the warp coils are *really* dense [Razz] Empty plastic models don't really extrapolate to full ships with stuff in them, I mean.

Yes, that's the point. Really, really dense. [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Vanguard
Member # 1780

To be more accurate, you could spray the insides with expanding foam? Like some of the older insulation cans or something? [Smile]

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OverRon:
quote:
Originally posted by Vanguard:

Don't start talking about Intrepids and rotating nacelles or we'll have Escallum in here moaning about Nebula's and trying to talk about using pens to make fully rotating nacelles. [Wink]
With traffic cones...I need a good laugh. I think I'll re-read that thread. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps