Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Starship Exeter Back Again (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Starship Exeter Back Again
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My apoliogies if someone else has mentioned this, but my search did not turn up any posts of the topic...

The new Starship Exeter fanfilm "The Tressaurian Intersection" is being released in segments on the web. The Teaser came out the other day.
Link to Teaser (MOV file): 30mb

The other segments are coming out weekly, and will be found here.

The script for this one is by Dennis Russell Bailey, who wrote the TNG episodes Tin Man and First Contact.

It's worth a look. They did a great job on an opening push into the bridge dome a la The Cage.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, I guess. The sets and FX are top-notch for this level, though as usual the costumes need work (I have yet to see a truly convincing fan costume in a movie, even on the correct body types as seen in the clip).

Oh, and Garrovick is trying WAY too hard to channel Kirk.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear. Oh dear. Agreed the sets are great, and that starship at the start looks good - is that CGI or a model?

but... but... the ACTING - the HORROR! It's SO bad.

What is with that Andorian's antennae? They didn't even look that bad in TOS! The acting though - oh dear. Shocking.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to be fair, even in the 60's studios had a way to make the antennae and people who's job it is to do it, your average joe doesn't.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is this the one (the "show," that is, not this specific installment) that Koenig is in?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. That's New Voyages, the one with a new Kirk. That episode with Koenig is even being written by DC Fontana [Cool]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of full episodes why don't they try tackling smaller length features like some of those Star Wars fan movies?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Yah, the ship and the FX were really good. Even the transporter effect was cool. And the wreck of the Kongo's saucer section was impressive.

The only uniform I was horrified by was the captain's. Dear lord. The worst part about the acting is the timing. They trounce all over each other's lines. But the story actually sounded pretty good.

Kinda neat how the female XO put pants on before beaming down, though fairly stupid that the Ensign didn't. I'm trying to figure out if the XO's accent is real or faked. Sort of sounded like she was trying to do an Uhura impersonation.

Credits were bad. The voiceover sounds as though it's being read by an android programmed for human speech.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I definitely have to ge the sound working on my PC now...
DoughBoy05
Member # 1417

- posted      Profile for DoughBoy05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this is the first planet ever visited that has RAIN (unless you count that Whale Probe thing) but apparently humans haven't re-invented JACKETS after losing that piece of fashion technology during WW3

--------------------
"Well, Sergeant? Aren't you going to say that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside? Everybody else does."

"It's pretty obvious, isn't it?"

The Doctor and Sgt. Benton, in "The Three Doctors"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(What about the landing party coats in Wrath of Khan, huh, huh?)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

(Oh, and: Ferenginar!)
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and "The Cage" - the VERY FIRST EPISODE EVER MADE?!

But.. Have we ever seen an UMBRELLA in Trek before? Hmm?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the acting: The people running the show are the people acting in it. if I made a fan film, I'd find it hard to avoid the temptation to do the same thing (I can't act, but can sing and dance ok). But only a few lucky filmmakers can get away with being a successful multi-hyphenate. Others should be aware of their limitations!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also Galorndon Core. For the rain. Not the acting.

I would have liked to have seen some bad weather gear in the TNG era though, other than the aluminum foil suits that Odo and Quark had to share.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps