Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Pre-TMP Miranda (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Pre-TMP Miranda
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say that given the complexities of the transwarp drive and the Excelsior's number, she was probably started in the 2260s instead.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah she may have been started in 2260 but it would be nice to see something of a "rough draft" showing her as a TOS style ship.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuuuuuck that notion.
That would imply that either the Excelsior took forever (unlikley considering the Federation's supposed rescources and all it's member world's briliant scientists' expertise to draw upon) to build or that the general design style of the Excelsior is really old but did not influence starship construction at all (and makimg those Excelsior class ships still in service by DS9's era that much less likley).

Silly either way.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: the roll bar. If you don't want to raise bar itself, you could either make the pod smaller or change its attachment to the deflector pod (not have it going right through its middle, sort of like the attachment of Oberth's "sensor pod" or whatever it is). A more radical idea is to move the bridge forward and lower, from the center of the saucer to the forward slope of the hill.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might lose the deflector crystal and insert the weird TOS raised strip thingie above the impulse engines.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Captain Boh: Put a nice fat outline around your schematic as BX does here. It helps tie the drawing together.

I don't suppose there's a quick and easy way to do that... is there?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Sharpie marker- just draw it on the screen...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn it! I can't seem to find one.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Alternately, you could turn off your monitorand paint the ship on with White Out.

Whatever works for you, of course. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn plastic modelers!!! Always sniffing that demon glue!!

The easiest way to have a thick outline is to place a copy of the ship on a lower layer and increase the line thickness. You can remove any unseen interior lines if you'd like.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

I can't belive I didn't think of that. Thanks.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Thanks a lot Masao!
I was sooo close with that gag too....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Irishman:
I actually prefer the original version you made. The wider nacelle-base (pardon the automobile pun) makes it seem less boxy to me.

Irishman: Yeah for me too. That was the problem I was having with a lot of the fan proto-Mirandas I was seeing. Spreading the nacelles lends a sense of stability. A matter of personal preference I expect. I've decided to embrace my original impulse (warp?) and bear the inevitable "Wide-Load" jokes. Incidentally, that's a great trick with the deflector. I tried it out and... yeah I didn't like the oval deflector. It looked too, I dunno. It didn't fit. I've opted for shrinking it and raising the rollbar slightly.

Mars needs Women: As I mention, I did try the oval deflector, but I just couldn't get a shape I liked. Something about the three circles of the nacelles and the deflector seems..right. I am a hippie. I started thinking about your proto-Excelsior, but then my brain blew up trying to imagine where those shapes would come from in TOS. I guess I've never been an Excelsior fan. I would be curious to see someone try...

Masao: I nudged it up a bit. It does give a better weapons arc for those phasers. But I've opted for a tiny deflector in the full-size pod. It's an interesting idea, but I fear moving the bridge foreward betrays the TOS aesthetic I was going for. I'm curious to learn more of this Oberth "sensor pod". If memory serves, the Oberth was pretty symmetric. I do like me some asymmetry...

Jason: Are you talking about the shoehorn-looking thing on the aft saucer of the Constitution? I don't think it adds nearly as much visual interest (the real reason). And maybe because it's bridging up into the movies it's justified (the excuse). I promise not to light it with blue. (Unless lighting it with blue makes it look incredibly cool, in which case all bets are off.)

Captain Boh: I actually don't do the black outline in the in-progress vector version (shapes moving and changing too often and I get confused easily). I use the magic wand in Photoshop as I am putting the jpg together and just stroke the selection with 2 or 3 pixels of black.

So, er, wider IS better:
 -

Please to be making the comments...

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Fuuuuuck that notion.
That would imply that either the Excelsior took forever (unlikley considering the Federation's supposed rescources and all it's member world's briliant scientists' expertise to draw upon) to build or that the general design style of the Excelsior is really old but did not influence starship construction at all (and makimg those Excelsior class ships still in service by DS9's era that much less likley).

Silly either way.

I was not trying to say that the Excelsior was developed in the 2260's, I was just saying what if it was made in a more TOS-style. Don't have a heartattack over this.

Anyways thanks Balaam Xumucane for listening to my request and your Miranda is coming out really nice. Have ever thought about putting the deflector dish as an extension that is connected to the sensor doom a la Surya-class?

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
funny how this thread keeps going.... [Razz]

actually when i read it, it helps greatly with my imagination. The last book i read, ST: Vanguard, had a TOS era Miranda stationed at Vanguard. it makes me wonder what the author's mind's eye is of the USS Bombay (no registry, surprisingly)...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps