Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » (UP3) "Quad-Nacelle" Declassified!

Author Topic: (UP3) "Quad-Nacelle" Declassified!
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alrighty, folks, color me confused.

I've made no secret of the fact that (say it with me now) I am not a ship guy. I had to dive deep into the depths of the UP3 forum to fish out Bernd's Wolf 359 ships write-ups, and the way it seems to be formatted, the "Quad-Nacelle" ship and the Rigel seem to be seperate classes. However, the "Quad-Nacelle" folder I have has two diagrams that are labelled as the Rigel, and this ship does appear to have four-nacelles.

Are the "Quad-Nacelle" and Rigel the same? Heck if I know. The Rigel info (right next to the "Quad-Nacelle" info in Bernd's write-up, adding to my confusion) is included for completeness. Since nobody's been responding to the UP3 threads lately, maybe this is just the thing to spark some debate.

Or maybe I'm just the only person here who doesn't know the answer to this.

Whichever.

Anyway, write-up by Bernd with diagrams by TSN. Enjoy.

Quad-nacelled ship
In BoBW as well as TNG: "Unification" a four-nacelled ship can be seen, neither of which seems to be the Cheyenne class. The ship is almost definitely another Excelsior study model of three or four to exist. The ship features four nacelles, a long (possibly telescopic) horizonal connection structure. It is interesting that the ship apparently uses a saucer from AMT's Enterprise-refit kit and yet another variant of the Oberth-like nacelles. According to Michael Okuda, the ship is hanging from the ceiling in the DS9 art department.

Known quad-nacelled ships:
No name or registry known

Occurences:
TNG: "Best of Both Worlds, part II"
TNG: "Unification, part II"

Note:
The model was labeled "U.S.S. Alka-selsior NCC-2000". We prefer to ignore that.

Rigel
According to Mike Okuda the Rigel-class Tolstoy was probably not on screen at all, but later inserted in to the dialogue. Previous fan descriptions of the Rigel as a three-nacelled Galaxy kitbash obviously referred to what is actually the Niagara.

Known Rigel-class ships:
U.S.S. Tolstoy NCC-62095, TNG: "Best of Both Worlds, part II"

Available pictures: (1) (2)

[ October 25, 2005, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Krenim ]

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First picture does appear to be the four nacelled Excelsior prototype, second one 404s
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
First picture does appear to be the four nacelled Excelsior prototype, second one 404s

Fixed. Sorry about that.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I named the diagrams thus because I have a theory (or, at least, had a theory; I haven't thought about it recently) that this ship should be called the Rigel class. Something to do with it being on the screen when the Tolstoy is mentioned? Or was supposed to be mentioned? Was that the one that they cut out, or something? I really don't remember.

Regardless, the "four-nacelled Excelsior study model = Rigel" idea was mine. That's what cause your confusion.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waaaay back in the day, Lobo made a purdy 'lil TNG era ship we called the Rigel class and I made a model of it and everything.

Andrew even photoshopped a pic or two of it.

Thus, I'd rather the four nacelled thing be the Merced or something else.
The diagram is not real accurate for the excelsior study model- it should be much longer (though it looks better shortened).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was drawing it from scratch with a single reference photo...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not bad at all- far more practical than the model, really.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.