Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » What Did We Think the Enterprise-E Would Look Like?

Author Topic: What Did We Think the Enterprise-E Would Look Like?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's 1994. "Generations" premieres in a hugely hyped puff of... Meh. But most importantly, our stalwart home of seven years ends up in pieces above and on the surface of Veridian III. This was always seen as a blatat move to replace the old girl with a newer namesake, leading to further story and merchandising possibilities.

Naturally, the fans went nuts with a flurry of "What will the new E-E look like" discussion. What I want to know is, what were the fan made E-E designs of the time? What did they look like? Are any of them, now ten years on, still findable on the net? I'm rather curious as to what we thought, as I can't remember myself...

Some may remember some of the pictures here, which were whipped up when an early production pic of the "real" E-E was accidentally shown during a TV interview with Berman. They're the earliest fan pictures I can remember... But I'm talking what WE thought she'd look like.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any designs, but I remember a rumour of the time that several fans related to me, basically saying that the E-E would look like a streamlined mix of Excelsior and Voyager parts...of course it turned out to look absolutely nothing like it! :-) On a slightly related note, I remember seeing a design for the E-E that had the nacelle pylons slung forward and I always thought it looked so much better, like all the lines were pointing in the same direction. Will try to find it if you like.

FD

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't online until spring of 1997, and I wasn't a part of any fandom group until I joined one of the predecessors of this place about a year later. I had a few real life Trek friends, but none of us ever talked about what we thought the next Enterprise would or should look like.

I remember thinking back then that we'd probably see an even larger Enterprise that was more curvy and organic looking than the previous one (and therefore more impossible for me to doodle successfully). The first idea I had of what the new Enterprise would look like was from an early teaser for First Contact. There were no shots of the ship itself, but I could see the outline on the MSD at the back of the bridge. I drew a rough sketch of a very Galaxy-like Sovereign-class. Unfortunately, that sketch is probably long gone by now.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 10 years old in 1994. I saw Generations in the theatre, didn't understand any of the Nexus crap, and the Enterprise obviously hadn't been destroyed because it was still on television.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
On a slightly related note, I remember seeing a design for the E-E that had the nacelle pylons slung forward and I always thought it looked so much better, like all the lines were pointing in the same direction. Will try to find it if you like.
I remember that design too. It's in the TNG Movies Sketchbook by John Eaves. I think that somebody said that it looked like a chicken (bermanga?) and that after that it was doomed, cos when ever Eaves looked at it, he saw it sitting in a pan ready to roast. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps