Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Some Ships Inspired by Jefferies' concept art (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Some Ships Inspired by Jefferies' concept art
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Pasteur. Also cool.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good heavens man - what version of iTunes are you using! Purple icon?

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the first one , although the shuttle deck must just be like a helipad as its so small. Where's the bridge?

The second one is a good idea, but, yeah, the secondary hull is a bit blocky. Way back in the dim and distant past I tried to do something with the design (must have been a few years back). I found it on an old floppy disk a while ago...

Edit: Oh, is the thing on top of the ball (on the first ship) meant to be the bridge, or am I being thick? On second thoughts, I probably shouldn't ask leading questions...

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TGB,

Inspiring as a carrier isn't it? Even though that's not how Jefferies intended.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it works better than almost any other design as a carrier (especialy the one that consists of an oberth saucher pasted on to two excelcior secondary hulls). Kudos to you.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon that design that you've made a carrier looks like it could have been fiddled with to be made an old-style Klingon Vessel. Remember in ??The Chronology?? they had those pics of "old style" Romulan ships... looked like long tubes with nacelles. Could be something in a similar vein.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew,

I'm surprised noone else has yet mentioned the visual similarity between this carrier design and Klingon ship morphology. It was on my mind as I developed it. I tried not to be led down that path, letting the ship retain UFP sensibilities. Time will tell how well I've succeeded.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neato. Older ship designs. Hooray for lineage.

The purple iTunes isn't iTunes at all, but (I suspect) kTunes. Also if you don't want us snooping at your dock, if you press Shift+Command+4, you will get a cross hair you can click and drag a marquee to snap just a portion of the screen.

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Toadkiller:
Good heavens man - what version of iTunes are you using! Purple icon?

Judging by the smaller size of the spinning beachball I'd say he's using OSX 10.1(.5?), so probably iTunes 2...

--------------------
It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

Irishman
Member # 1188

Actually, Jim, you're right. It is OS X 10.1.5, and iTunes 2!

--------------------

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Opps, just outed myself as a Mac-addict. And proud of it [Smile]

--------------------

Irishman
Member # 1188

Actually, I am so much of a Mac addict that I installed 10.1.5 on an ancient unsupported Mac - an 8600/250!

Anyone feels sorry for me yet is asked to leave donations for an iMac Core Duo at the door. [Smile]

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like these designs, something that people around here seem to have a hard time remembering is that these are complex engineering machines, and form would absolutely follow function. And like that one caption to Jeffries' concept said, a sphere is the best shape for the pressure involved, not to mention you get the most volumetric bang for your buck.

Is that a K7 pod hanging between the nacelles there?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Irishman
Member # 1188

OnToMars,

Yes, it is indeed a K7 pod! Good eye.

I think I'm going to reshape it into something more like a Grissom saucer.

--------------------

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

quote:
Originally posted by Irishman:
Actually, I am so much of a Mac addict that I installed 10.1.5 on an ancient unsupported Mac - an 8600/250!

Anyone feels sorry for me yet is asked to leave donations for an iMac Core Duo at the door. [Smile]

How well does it run on the 8600? I've got one sitting in the corner doing not much... Presume you used XPostFacto?
iMac Core Duo would be nice, can't wait to see the PowerMac replacement. Might finally retire my B&W...

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps