Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Some Ships Inspired by Jefferies' concept art (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Some Ships Inspired by Jefferies' concept art
Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's the latest on my carrier idea, the U.S.S. Monticello. Tell me what you think. Be as critical as you feel the need for. I want to get her right in the spirit of the slightly-after-Pike-pre-TOS feel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Irishman/Monticello.jpg

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks Klingon.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it!

--------------------
It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice.

The only things I can think of is that the dome on top of the saucer looks too low if it's the bridge (which it might not be, so I'll shut up), and the registry on the back looks wierd , as if it can't decide if its comming or going!

Other than that eet's good-a shit!

EDIT
One other thing I've just thought of - did you try it with pre-TOS nacelles (like we saw in 'the cage', or the early TOS nacelles without the lightbulb at the back and the cocktail stick in the front)?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the front, but I'm thinking I'd like it more if the nacelles stuck straight out rather than angling down. Either that, or straight out, but angled towards the aft. Or angled upwards... I don't know. I just don't care for them angled down.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the home pregnantcy test at the frot holds the shuttles?

It's not a bad design, but I'd also like to see older style nacelles on it, and the registry facting forward- it looks odd with it on the aft surface.

What I'd love to see though is the cylinder part lower than it is now-extending downward from the "saucer" by a "neck" piece.
Currently the only weak point in the design is where the cylinder and saucer join, and this would solve the issue and make for a less klingon-looking design.

Hmmm...mabye have clamshell door at the rear of the cylinder in the new configuration...

Am I making any sense to you here?
Here: I made a horrible Photoshop version of what I mean:
 -

[ February 10, 2006, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a neat design, Irishman! I echo the opinions of those who say that the registry should face forward and the nacelles should be pilot-style, however. Also, I think Jason's suggested modifications do indeed improve the lines of the ship, but that's probably more modification than you're a-wanting to be a-doing...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[And yes...insert requisite dick joke here...]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, I may make a variant of the design taking into account your changes, Jason. Yet, the point of what I did here was to just take one of Jefferies' concepts and develop it as far as we've seen the Connie taken, visually.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, I know- but he made a sketch very close the configuration I laid out as well (I think), so any variant will still be in the theme. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Irishman
Member # 1188

Besides, if I change it the way you suggested (great layout, it looks even cooler turned upside down!), then it wouldn't work very well as a carrier. The straight-line conveyor from landing bay/repair/refuel bay back along the neck to the main hangar is designed with utilitarianism in mind. Breaking up that straight line makes conveyance from front to back less efficient.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Upside-down it looks like a grinning, one-eyed duck.

Hmm....I was thinking of the whole forward pill-shaped part as the hangar/repair/refuel section and the rest of the ship holding ship's functions, crew quarters, engines, etc.

The lowest level would be the shuttle recieving bay (connected to the clamshell) with elevators rising up to a repair bay and then up one more deck into a launchbay (sliding hangar doors on either side of the "pill".
More like the landing bays on the old Galactica than anything we've seen on Trek, but cool in a Romulan War sorta way. [Wink]
The very forward of the bay holds flight ops while the ship's bridge is at the rear circular part.

Mabye the "pill" is a swappable module for the starship? Kinda a a mix of the Nebula's mission specific pod and the Plotmey's pods of cargo.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Irishman
Member # 1188

Jason, cool idea, but have you worked out how many shuttles or fighters you could actually fit in the forward section? I did. That's why I was forced to put hangar space in the rear hull.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the Monticello is a very cool design, Irishman. In general I agree that it should have the Pike-era nacelles. Concerning the feel of the ship, I think that it generally is actually a quite solid design � the forward hull is by necessity simple and blocky. I think the best change would be to the lower half of the engineering hull � something to make it a bit more complex and visually interesting. Maybe something similar to the aft cutaway on the Constitution?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Irishman:
Jason, cool idea, but have you worked out how many shuttles or fighters you could actually fit in the forward section? I did. That's why I was forced to put hangar space in the rear hull.

Hmmm...go with a bigger "pill" or smaller shuttles!
The ol' "penguin" shuttle or even the NX's shuttlepods would fit quite a few in there (assuming they store up into hangars like on the NX-01).
Probably 15-20 shuttlepod-sized vessells could be stored with room for maintence and launch/recovery ops.

Not a huge number, but it's not a huge ship, either. [Wink]

Might also be neat to see a "boomer" version from the Romulan war, where the pill is just a biiig missile silo with launch-tubes honeycombing it. [Eek!]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing the configuration of the Monticello before. Was it one of your designs, Irishman, or am I experiencing a d�j�-vu?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.