Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Mappin' The 'Verse (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Mappin' The 'Verse
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Typecasting?)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(That is a narrow type. At least Walt never got a pen in his head.)
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(What are you two on about?)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Taking things too far; also the pictured actress from Serenity is on Lost, occasionally, playing Walt's mother.)
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Zoe woman isn't the same woman as Walt's mother is she!?! I definately know that Zoe? was Jasmin in Angel.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not Zoe, or at least I don't think it is. . .

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zoe was the other black chick's best friend from the second or third Matrix movie. I think it's the second one, she's the one that comes over after the guy that plays Walt comes home and has an argument with his wife about him joining Morpheus' ship.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, I could stab you all in the face for all this Lost/Matrix confusion. The guy in the Matrix movie doesn't play Walt, he plays Walt's father, Michael. As to whether the teacher from Serenity and Walt's mom are the same person. She is. Which is to say that Simon's complicated joke was very funny to a select group of people.

[ March 24, 2006, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: bX ]

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also: Having been in contact via some unnamed channel with he who shall not be named, I've elaborated and altered the map a touch incorporating several of his ideas:

some changes:
 -

He hit upon what I think is a pretty clever (and in retrospect, totally obvious) idea about how to organize the planets and I suspect I'll switch to that for future discussion so as to save my time and Charles' bandwidth. That idea being to list the bodies from innermost to outermost, with moons/secondary bodies following a colon. Thusly:
  • Angel

Core Planets
  • Liann Jiun
  • Sihnon
  • Osiris
  • Ariel
  • Persephone
  • Londinium: Bellerophon
  • Santo: Bernadette, Three Hills, Kerry

Border Planets
  • Greenleaf: Jiangyin, Harvest, Highgate
  • Georgia: Beylix, Ezra, Regina, Muir, Paquin, Whittier
  • Hera: Shadow, Silverhold
  • Boros
  • Newhall
  • Heinlein: Higgin's Moon, Salisbury, Triumph
  • Athens: Deadwood, Beaumonde, Ita, Whitefall

Frontier Planets
  • Dyton
  • St. Albans: Aberdeen, Haven
  • Verbena
  • Lilac
For those who may be interested: I made Jiangyin a moon of Greenleaf based on the statement in the episode safe that Greenleaf was ten hours away which (according the estimation of Serenity's speed from the RPG) would barely let them make it across even the narrowest planetary orbits. I moved Beaumonde and placed Haven (and placed Aberdeen based on my belief that the Companion Training House is on that world) for proximity to Lilac so as to better correspond to the events of the movie.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having the moons apparently on the same orbit as their planets makes them all seem like planets. Two suggestions: 1) place the moons on a ring around the planet (on a single ring or on multiple rings) or 2) place them vertically in a straight line (maybe placed slightly to the right), rather than following the planet's orbit. You might also try placing the planets at other places along their orbits rather than placing them all at the top, since you're sort of wasting a lot of the space below (only being used to show moons of a few planets).

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Lee
Member # 393

Just watched the movie. Loved it.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the bloody hell took you so long? [Wink]

As for the map, yeah, I agree with Masao it's a little confusing since some of those (Londinium & Bellerophon for example) could be interpreted at twin planets rather than satellites.

I'd suggest either adding a separate set of diagrams below the system layout that illustrates the orbits of the various moons or stager the planets in their orbits and line the moons up horizontally along a line. I'm a little tire right now so that's probably not as clear a description as it probably should have been.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

bX
Member # 419

I diddled with the moons and also the position of Whitefall.
shoot the moons:
 -

Lee
Member # 393

So where's Miranda then? 8)

I just remembered a similar-yet-really-wildly-different situation from a book: Against a Dark Background by Iain M. Banks. It's set in a star system called Thrial, which is a rogue star floating in intergalactic space, with "a million light years" in any direction. In the book, just about every planet has been terraformed (or golterformed, since that's the home planet of the human or humanlike species which evolved there); I forget how many planets there were but it seemed quite a few, some of which were actually moons. So, literary precedent of a sort. Because the star is isolated, the inhabitatnts of the system have endured thousands of years of boom and bust, with no way to expand or break out of the cycle they're condemned to. . . A bit like the Moties in Niven & Pournelle's The Mote in God's Eye.

--------------------

bX
Member # 419

Congratulations on finally seeing the movie, Lee.

It's likely I'm going to be the single-gun theory here, but I'm going to stick to the shitpiles-o'-planets-'n-moons orbiting one big sun thing. (Am I right in believing we never saw a sky with more than one sun?) I realize it strains credulity, but maybe it's a much more compact set of orbits around a larger sun with some intentionally terraformed thick-ass ozone layers for the inner planets. If a CHZ was, say, 400 million miles across, these twenty orbits would fit with an average of 20 million miles of space between each.

Also: he-who-(with increasing ridiculousness)-goes-unamed has brought to my attention certain information which has caused me to reshuffle the list some.
  • Angel

Core Planets
  • Liann Jiun
  • Sihnon
  • Osiris
  • Three Hills
  • Highgate
  • Londinium: Bellerophon
  • Ariel: Bernadette, Kerry

Border Planets
  • Greenleaf: Jiangyin, Harvest
  • Georgia: Beylix, Ezra, Regina, Muir, Paquin, Whittier
  • Hera: Santo, Persephone, Shadow, Silverhold
  • Heinlein: Higgin's Moon, Salisbury, Triumph
  • Athens: Deadwood, Beaumonde, Ita, Whitefall
  • Boros: Constance

Frontier Planets
  • Newhall
  • Dyton
  • St. Albans: Aberdeen, Haven
  • Verbena
  • Lilac
Notably, it's mentioned that Persephone is an outer planet in the same breath as Hera and Shadow in the SVC.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.