Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Mappin' The 'Verse (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Mappin' The 'Verse
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
why do half the planets have British derived names?

Alot of U.S. stuff is based on British stuff even now. A bunch of cities and even states are named after British territories. New York comes to mind.
New York is named after the Duke, not the place.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Found a flaw in the chronology: it doesn't take account for relativistic effects during the migration.

Perhaps the dates are subjective?

quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
quote:
Alot of U.S. stuff is based on British stuff even now. A bunch of cities and even states are named after British territories. New York comes to mind.

Either way it amounts to the same thing.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
why do half the planets have British derived names?

Caldwell Texas (home of our former President) is named after one of my ancestors.

One day I will raise an army and drive the Bush's off my ancesteral lands...

The planetary names might derive from the firstin-system colonists- mostly British, followed by refugees from an alliance here or a remaining soverign nation there.

Did they ever say weither anyone still lived on Earth?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Did they ever say weither anyone still lived on Earth?
Not in the show... The impression I got was that anyone left behind wasn't going to make a sustainable population and probably died out.

One clever bit from the system analysis that makes sense in hindsight: the reason for the exodus was global warming and overpopulation, but once they decided to evacuate the planet, they stopped worrying about creating pollution and ran amok building the spaceships, accelerating the whole problem. Kinda creepy.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd believe it. Actually sounds somewhat similar to the 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' scenario. Most who can leave have and most of those that are left are left to rot with not real effort to repair, or even combat the damage done to the environment. Also lends credence as to how Blue Sun became so powerful, when they were building the arks the elected governments were probably already just figureheads with the megacorps actually running the show.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps