Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » A Daedalus idea I had..fleshed out (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A Daedalus idea I had..fleshed out
Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Aban. To my eye, the angled lines serve to give much-needed design coherence to the Daedalus, which classically, as you recall, is depicted as a ball attached to a shampoo bottle.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And next, the contemporary of all three the above ships, the Cabot Class Tanker vessel

-

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, now THAT one I like!

B.J.

Irishman
Member # 1188

Damn, it's about time! [Smile]

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Irishman:
...depicted as a ball attached to a shampoo bottle.

Oil drum. And I like that look. [Smile]

Ok... the tanker... very yummy. I love the back bit behind her tanks and between her nacelles.

(I always strive for as much innuendo as possible in my posts)

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:

(I always strive for as much innuendo as possible in my posts)

Sooo... you are suggesting he spread the struts open wider?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice struts...When do they open?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work, as always, Irishman.
However, I'm not a big fan of taking such a big bite out of the Daedalus sphere. The whole rationale (I'm assuming) of a sphere is too maximize volume and minimize surface area. But slicing that big piece out, there's no point in keeping the rest a sphere, other than design inertia. Also, that exposed piping below the neck: what is is?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Hunter and the tanker Irishman, but I'm also not too keen on the large chunk your taking outa the Daedalus sphere.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cast my vote with the camp that says the sphere-cutaway should go. Like Aban, I'm not fond of the angles OR the curves of the secondary hull, either. But then, I've always thought the Daedalus looked fine to begin with. (Like a logical predecessor to the TOS Enterprise, anyway.)

I like the Cabot's profile quite a bit. What does the plan view look like? It kind of looks like a catamaran hull would suit her.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cabot? Wasn't that the original First Officer on the Voyager?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dig the tanker- a lot.
Hmmm...it would be cool to have it's bridge towards the ship's rear, like a modern oil tanker (mabye just fore of the nacelle pylons?)...

But that's probably a consideration for another design.

I'd love to see a TMP era version that would always be foolishly entering restricted space... [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Cabot? Wasn't that the original First Officer on the Voyager?

Cavit.

This ship most likely named after Giovanni Cabato (John Cabot), the Italian explorer that reached the North American mainland in 1497.

....Now you know....

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Irishman
Member # 1188

I'm not sure why I'm receiving resistance to the idea of carving a deflector into the sphere of the Daedalus. Is it because "it's the Daedalus"? Greg Jein's Horizon model (upon which most fanon has based the Daedalus, erroneously I feel) has a similarly sized facet carved out of its top plane where he installed a bridge or sensor dome. If Jein's flat surface doesn't preclude the sensible use of a sphere, why should mine?

I am going to keep the forward faceted edge because it is going to serve a needed purpose that has been lacking from the Daedalus ever since Jefferies made his early concept sketches for the Enterprise. And you guys know how much I like to go back for inspiration to Jefferies' artwork. [Smile]

That purpose is a navigational deflector. I know that some have suggested that a deflector is there, it's just in some form we don't automatically recognize as a Trek deflector, perhaps some kind of phased array like has been speculated for the Warp Delta from "Enterprise" and the Reliant from STII and Grissom from STIII.

While that may be fine for some, I want to stick to a known Treknology with my interpretation of the Daedalus, the brassy deflector dish.

Masao, you asked what was the purpose of the "exposed piping" under the interconnecting structure? That is a shielded conduit housing tapping directly from the main reactor, leading forward to the deflector assembly. Since warp energy levels and deflector energy levels go hand in hand, I thought having my deflector here tap directly into the main M/AM reactor would be the best way to make sure it received the power it needs.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's resistance on any technical grounds. Personally, I just don't like the way it looks. But hey... she's not my ship. [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps