Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » A Daedalus idea I had..fleshed out (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A Daedalus idea I had..fleshed out
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno. I mean, I had a go once at updating the Daedalus using Jeffries' sketches as the basis, and Jein's model as a benchmark rather than a strict guide. Most of my designs had a hole for the deflector in the sphere.

Other ideas that I had were that it was behind one of the rectangular pannels that face forwards on the Jeindalusm, and that these were a thin material that was permiable to the deflector beam, or even retractable.

Given that we've never seen the ship in real life, I think we can safly say that Irishmans interpritations, with on screen evidence (nil except for Sisco's large paperweight), and background information (sketchy at best) taken into account, is still a valid proposal as to the true nature of the Daedalus.

That said, I think that the secondary hull needs to be a bit more angular (oil drum do I hear) Irishman, but thats me.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just my bias but I positively detest the oil drum. I don't think anyone would ever build it into a spacecraft, so I won't be changing that.

Sorry guys.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Ginger Beacon has said, the deflector can easily be just a hole made into the sphere and not a huge carve out of it. It's almost like the forward curve of the Excelsior's secondary hull.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This is just my bias but I positively detest the oil drum."

Fair enough.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love oil drums, especially the ones in video games where you shoot them and they explode and kill everyone.

Well in any case, you were talking about Jefferies Daedalus and how the top of the sphere is cut for the bridge. I find that the sphere being "cut" along the top looks more pleasing to the eye plus is has a domed bridge.

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the size of the cut-out for the deflector may get smaller, but it's not going to disappear.

Exploding oil drums? Wasn't that Duke Nukem? and Doom?

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Irishman
Member # 1188

Okay, I've run up against a mental block on the Cabot class. I'm reconciling the side view we all like with the other angles, while trying to maintain real-world believability.

Anyway, here's where I am with it:

-

I've converted the forward shoulder-like hull into a shuttle/cargo bay with doors on both sideways, angled 45 degrees. I like it better that way.

The shape of the cargo containers were made to give it visual interest. I'm sure I could come up with a Treknical reason if pressed. [Smile]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give that puppy a deflector.
Hmmmm...not a "NX" style oval though: it would look like a Pac-Man face.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Irishman
Member # 1188

Of course it will need a deflector. I haven't even gotten to that point yet. I might make it an interim version, somewhere between the NX-02 dish and a E-nil. Thoughts?

What do you think about the other views?

--------------------

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again - what version of iTunes has a PURPLE icon - inquiring macheads want to know.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Irishman
Member # 1188

Toadkiller, once again, it's iTunes 4.5 that I use with OS X 10.1.5

I would upgrade to Jaguar (10.2) but I don't have a CD copy available to install from. Then I could use Quartz Extreme to shunt off finder screen redraws to the GPU of my ATI video card.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Irishman:
Of course it will need a deflector. I haven't even gotten to that point yet. I might make it an interim version, somewhere between the NX-02 dish and a E-nil. Thoughts?

What do you think about the other views?

Good thus far- I'd add a bunch of loading bay doors at the aft of the cargo containers...it would make the much more functional.

The top view has three green dome thingies that are not visible on the other views....are they on a recessed plain? What are they?

While not applicable to this design, I'd love to see a freighter or supply ship with a square "male" attachment meant to fit into the hangar of the Regula type stations.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should strengthen the connection between the narrow tail of the ship to the narrow nose: make it look like it is a single continous structure. The nose is the same width as the tail, but has a very different shape. Strengthen this spine, then attach other structures to it.

How wedded are you to current widths of the the cargo modules and shoulders? I think they should be narrower.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps