Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » The NCC-1000 from 2k6 SotL Calendar (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The NCC-1000 from 2k6 SotL Calendar
jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing as how it'll be ages before I reach 250 posts, these are hosted by meeeeee! (Hey, at least I'm not posting crap posts to reach 250 [Big Grin] ). This was just quickyl scanned moments ago. I haven't bothered to do a nice scan yet, due to life and all that. But I just wanted to talk about the ship first anyway. So this is copyrighted, but I'm declaring fair use for discussion purposes, and it's not a high quality scan anyway, due to the scanner reflection around the fold of the calendar.

-
(this preview links to a slightly larger version)

I think it's a fantastic design, quite beautiful, looks like it's fast as hell. A great bridge between the NX/Enterprise line, and the TOS era ships. I'd have gone for straight sided nacelles rather than these ones that bow in the middle, but other than that it's a gorgeous design. I'd love to see more shots of this one, myself. Opinions?

The artist credit on the calendar is "Meni". Anyone have any idea who that is?

Also, I love the spiffy station you can see part of in this scan to the left.

The whole scene is titled "Starfleet Proving Grounds" for folks without the calendar.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice, but I daresay not the most original design ever. It looks like what happens when you step on a Constitution-class ship and not QUITE flatten it. It's pretty, and certainly well-done, but not my cup o' teah.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do like this particular solution for the navigational deflector problem. I mean, as opposed to the old Saladin style. Which, I mean, you don't see used much anyway.

I don't much care for the big glowy thing on the interior of that station.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Previous Flare discussions about the 2006 Calendar:

http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/1782.html#000000

http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/1801.html#000000

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that the name on the starboard side of the saucer or just the registry number repeated? I can't quite tell whether the line of text ends with an X or if it's just the last two zeros of 1000 on such a steep slant that it looks like two lines.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the number, but it's mirrored from the left side and therefore backwards.

B.J.

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: It'sNCC-1000 on both sides, but for starboard the artist just mirrored the texture from port since it's almost totally obscured. It took me a while to realize it was mirrored. Even a full view, you'd only notice because of the middle stroke on the N and the cap on the 1.

Mark: Agreed. I ALWAYS hated most of the other TOS designs where they slapped the dish under the saucer, like they're picking up TV signals or something.

But then, I hate most of the other TOS designs as a whole. The one and three nacelled ones, etc. The only one I liked was the cargo puller design with the Connie saucer and cargo pods where the secondary hull would be. That was somewhat realistic and expectable.

As for originality, we're working within a pre-existing schema of designs. It's hard to be too original without looking out of place. I like this one because it seems to blend the NX line with the TOS Connie line so well. It's like finding Homo Erectus for the first time.

Herb: True, btu I'm focusing only on the NCC-1000, so I'm sur ewe can handle a tid bit of duplicity. [Smile]

So, still unanswered, the artist "Meni"? My Google-fu comes up with nothing relevant.

And for the record, that station looks wicked awesome. [Smile]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be TOTALLY wrong but wasn't there someone associated with Star Trek called Tony Meninger? I maybe ABSOLUTELY wrong - maybe it's a nick-name for him - that is if he was part of the effects crew.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, the USS Edsel again! I must insist that it looks like an experiment gone wrong. Maybe it's what happens when you try to fit a whole starship into a transporter beam...
jX
Member # 1201

Oh come on, it's gorgeous! It's like a badass dragster! It's like the police cruiser version of the new Dodge Charger, fast AND mean! I can even see positioning the impulse in the back of the "secondary" hull, where the landing deck of the shuttlebay would be. It doesn't look like it quite has a hangar deck there anyway. It could launch and retrieve shuttle like the NX class does, under the belly.

Seriously people, this is a good looking ship. If you don't think so, go back to your USS Eagles and gimpy Oberths. [Wink]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I may be TOTALLY wrong but wasn't there someone associated with Star Trek called Tony Meninger?"

Meininger. And he appears to have been a model-maker for DS9 and VOY.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by machf:
Oh, the USS Edsel again! I must insist that it looks like an experiment gone wrong. Maybe it's what happens when you try to fit a whole starship into a transporter beam...

Heh I was thinking the same thing - maybe like in that episode of TNG where people were fused with bulkheads... This ship's secondary hull moved forward and fused with the primary hull! [Smile]

Actually - can anyone do a sketch version of this where the top half of the 'cylinder' middle section doesn't exist - instead we have the normal saucer top?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Oh also - after that little thread we had a while ago analysing the Oberth - I have found a new respect for it's design.

Annnd, where is Mojo?? He could answer the question as to who "Meni" is.

Adam "Mojo" Leibowitz where are you?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's allright: SSM makes a model called the Odanta that I converted to movie era that has the exact same deflector dish.
 -
Here's a review and pics of the stock kit.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*blink* You have a 12"-24" (at least) scanner??? -forget the ship, tell me about your technology. I need a larger scanner.

The ship, very nice, but I was kinda meh on the idea of a calendar that hung sideways.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.