Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » The Reverend's Antares refinement (Page 3)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: The Reverend's Antares refinement
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux: "U.S.S. Adamant NCC-3029 dreadnought-frigate"
Interesting designation. I thought Dreadnought and frigate were at totally different ends of the spectrum.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Purdy. Long and flowing, reminds me of a Battlestar just a *little* bit. (Just a little, I said!)

Why do you suppose it is that Federation ships got flatter and flatter over the years? The Borg build great huge thick thips; everyone else seems to prefer flat things that are very long and very wide, but very thin on the beam. The Constitution class was thick; the Excelsior and Galaxy class were thick but a bit thinner; the newest Akira, Intrepid, Steamrunner (and of course NX) ships are all very flat, showing an obvious design trend towards fewer decks. Any theories?

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More maneurverability, or maybe the advent of more automated tech requires fewer crew, and allows these crew to have more living space, but that still makes it smaller than previous designs. Another answer; The neck is probably a weak point on the ships. If there were a spot on your ship that could be easily hit and would cause your ship to split in two... Wouldn't you want a bit of change in design? Maybe this one was a test ship of sorts.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it'd have anything to do with maneuverability; they're in space, after all. There's no atmosphere to bank in, or anything like that. (Although they bank *anyway.*)

They could maybe move away from the stardrive hull - nacelles - saucer section design... [Wink]

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
The Borg build great huge thick thips

Developing a lisp now, are we? [Big Grin]

The loss of the neck on more recent ships is probably from a subconscious need to streamline things. Of course, the Galaxy class is probably the most streamlined of the lot, yet retains a neck. I would have preferred that the winning Titan design have a neck too, but oh well...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
The Borg build great huge thick thips

Developing a lisp now, are we? [Big Grin]
I believe he was thinking of Seven of Nine instead of Borg cubes.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Fabrux: "U.S.S. Adamant NCC-3029 dreadnought-frigate"
Interesting designation. I thought Dreadnought and frigate were at totally different ends of the spectrum.

The Adamant (like many other ships on that page) was designed back in the days when the first six movies plus TOS were all the Trek fans had to go on. In this time, someone designed a "dreadnought" by adding a third nacelle to the basic Constitution design and a few more weapons and shuttlebays, etc. More info here. Designed by David Schmidt and published in Starfleet Design back in the day.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Interesting. I'm glad we're over the "the more nacells you have, the faster you go" syndrome.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well hey, it was the working theory at the time. Truth be told, we haven't quite been given a reason for nacelles arranged in anything but pairs, even though there have been canon arrangements of one, two, three and four nacelles.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Just immaginr a fanboy's wet dream from 25 years ago. A super starship with 7 nacells, and 10 mega phaser cannons, 15 torpedo tubes ( wait, we have that already) and a top speed of warp 12. That sounds a lot like what my dad would have thought.
That's strange. I am a second generation trekkie. Yay me!

--------------------

-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warp 17, actually. Or a little over.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, part of the idea back then was that the nacelles were supposed to be self-contained units with all the propulsion and power-generation equipment necessary for warp drive. Under that reasoning, it would make sense that a third nacelle would add more speed. But as time went on, the whole logic of engine power transformed, thus making the idea of extra nacelles less logical.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spock would be proud.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Makotokat
Member # 1041

- posted      Profile for Makotokat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember, that bulb at the back of the warp engine was supposed to be the antimatter, mixed with the bussard at the fron to generate power (Thus they were called warp power units) So a third nacelle or just one nacelle made sense.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not so much that as much as it working like a jet engine: the fabric of space being sucked in the front, twisted about in the nacelle, & spit out the back

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps