Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Copyright infringment...maybe? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Copyright infringment...maybe?
Idontlikeusernames
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Idontlikeusernames     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If one should want to threaten legal action in this case I'd recommend directing it at the publisher not the author since it's always best to target the one who stands to lose the most.
In this case the author doesn't stand to lose all that much (assuming of course he can cough up the fine)but is otherwise free to commit the same offense again under a different pseudonym whereas the publisher stands to lose some of their good name and hence a portion of their business.
Plus if one sues the publisher, the publisher is in turn likely to sue the author.

--------------------
condemnant quod non intellegunt

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Idontlikeusernames you know alot about law, could you be my lawyer? [Smile]
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This publisher seems to be an intarweb vanity press.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Idontlikeusernames:
Ahh...... public domain and the internet, one of the most commonly misunderstood aspects of copyright law is the fallacious assumption that because something is posted on the internet it is somehow placed within the public domain and therefore free for all to use (with or without acknowledgements to the original author) as they please.

That's the problem, YOU may know that the net isn't "Public Domain" but the idiots that rip you off don't. The other problems is the "It was on the Internet so it MUST be true" people.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, �4 wasn't too much so I went and bought it. Not very impressive. No sources given within the listing so you have no way of knowing which ships came from where.

The last page of the PDF reads like this:

Acknowledgements

Fandom is a big place. That’s what 40 years of material inevitable brings. But there are a few, particularly helpful websites I need to mention that graciously allowed me to include their excellent material in this body of work.

www.ex-astris-scientia.org
Bernd Schneider’s excellent resource of technical material includes the EAS Fleet Yards, a section of starships designed and detailed by Bernd himself. Designed using very strict guidelines that Bernd has set out “what make a good starship design”, the entire site is a resource familiar to all fans with internet access.

www.starfleet-museum.org
Masao Okazaki’s website detailing the early vessels of Starfleet and the Federation, the incredible vessels here are designed are all of special historical importance to the Fleet. Again, like Bernd’s site, the starships Masao has designed follow logical design rules and are also considered by most fans as the ‘real’ early history of the Federation.

Besides these two excellent sites, many other related sites were of special help when compiling this listing. And while some have drifted off into internet history, others still remain as valuable technical resources and sources of entertainment. These include, but are not limited to:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/index.html -- Blueprint Database

http://www.gilsostartrekschematics.org.uk – Gilso’s Schematic database

http://www.shipschematics.net -- Starship Schematic Database

http://www.captainmike.org/Galactopedia -- Captain Mike’s Galactopedia

http://www.treknology.org/index.htm -- The Journal of Applied Treknology

http://topher.pleh.net/misc/mstrlst.html -- Master Ship List

http://www.fleetyard.net/ -- Titan Fleet Yards

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Main_Page -- Memory Alpha Wiki

http://topher.pleh.net/sd/ -- Starfleet Design

So if your designs appear on any of those sites, its prbably in there.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A. Moron:
Websites I need to mention that graciously allowed me to include their excellent material in this body of work.

www.starfleet-museum.org
Masao Okazaki’s website detailing the early vessels of Starfleet and the Federation, the incredible vessels here are designed are all of special historical importance to the Fleet. Again, like Bernd’s site, the starships Masao has designed follow logical design rules and are also considered by most fans as the ‘real’ early history of the Federation.

quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Who the hell is this guy?

Sometimes, you've just got to laugh.

And kill.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I assume that this guy will generously share any profit he makes with the creators of these starships.

Oh wait, Masao doesn't know who he is, well then I guess this means only thing: shit storm.

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This from the automatic e-mail I got when I purchased:
I just wanted to pass along my thanks for purchasing the StarFleet Registry.
The list contained within was compiled over a long period of time, and was mostly a personal project. I only decided to publish on LuLu when I realized how easy it would be to make myself a professional-looking book from my efforts.
The illustrations for the book were done in Adobe Illustrator, and were almost as time-consuming as compiling the list.
Again, thank you for your purchase, and I hope you enjoy the book.

!!!!

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I've been reading the wrong threads lately, but I haven't seen you in a while, Steve. When I saw "Identity Crisis" listed as the poster, a stupid little nostalgic "gee, nice to see one of the old crowd from r.a.s.t" grin spread over my face. I've got to run right now, but more on all this when I get home from church.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Home again.

Okay... I admit I'm pulling from every Trek source I can find for my �ber-chronology of the Federation Starfleet, but I wouldn't dream of publishing anything without express permission from anyone whose design(s) or idea(s) I incorporate into my Big Picture�. And that seems only appropriate. I am often amazed at how my view of fleet structure and nomenclature has shifted over the years, due almost entirely to the people I've talked, argued, and -- occasionally -- fought with over the matter. Rick and Mike, Andy, Shane, Todd and David, the other David, Bernd, Spike, Chris, Steve, Timo... The list of acknowledgements is a long one. All of you guys have forced me to continually re-examine my assumptions, and occasionally overturn them.

And jackals like this guy seriously honk me off. I wonder if he even realises what he's done. Bad enough to use material without permission, but to then acknowledge the sites he stole from? Seems almost like a challenge to me. I mean an old-fashioned, slap-across-the-face-and-throw-down-the-gauntlet challenge. And this ignoramus probably doesn't even know he's done it...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Identity Crisis:
This from the automatic e-mail I got when I purchased:
I just wanted to pass along my thanks for purchasing the StarFleet Registry.
The list contained within was compiled over a long period of time, and was mostly a personal project. I only decided to publish on LuLu when I realized how easy it would be to make myself a professional-looking book from my efforts.
The illustrations for the book were done in Adobe Illustrator, and were almost as time-consuming as compiling the list.
Again, thank you for your purchase, and I hope you enjoy the book.

!!!!

Well that's just telling fibs. I can see my Surak schematic right there on the cover.

A more accurate statement would be that the "illustrations" were TRACED in Adobe Illustrator.
I use Paint Shop Pro (still), I think Masao uses Macromedia Freehand & I'm pretty sure Bernd uses iGrafx Designer.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

And I'm the poor overzealous idiot who's creating them all in 1:1 scale in CATIA, from preliminary drawings done in AutoCAD.

--Jonah

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funnily enough, the link on Shik's first post now leads to an almost blank page, except for the words 'Item not available'.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well. Looks like he got skunked.

Good.

One thing to do freeware, another thing entirely to make money.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

-

All of Coruscant celebrates.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps