Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Constitution Class (Franz Joseph Style) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Constitution Class (Franz Joseph Style)
Makotokat
Member # 1041

- posted      Profile for Makotokat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ran into a problem.....tried texturing the 'bottom' of the saucer and my laptop ran out of memory. It is an ancient thinkpad powered by a hamster wheel so that's not surprising(I think it's a 350MHz machine). Now I have to move my files to the big machine.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You were rendering stuff on a 350MHz machine? Good god man, how long are your render times?!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Don't do no fancy stuff....just simple raytracing. Takes about a minute or two....no depth of field or reflections (that takes forever)
OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
350MHz? I haven't rendered anything on a machine that slow for 10 years now, and I'd hate to have go back to that speed now.

It's probably doing no good to your HDD rendering and modelling stuff on your laptop. I know my old thinkpad chews up 2.5" drives like they're made of candy floss. Been through like 8 drives in 8 years.

Anyways it looks good so far. What are you using to model it?

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Moved to my newer Dell laptop.....
 -  -

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impressed at your abilities with such limited hardware. Shapes look great. The too thick and too dark grid lines are a bit distracting, but can't wait to see more.
OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these just still test textures? As you may want to up the resolution of the textures you are using. As at the moment we can see the jaggies where the small texture is stretched across a large area. I'm guessing that the grid lines are 1px thick, right? So if you double the resolution but keep the lines as being 1px thick and maybe make the line colour a little lighter, it'd make a smoother and more subtle final effect. Still it's shaping up quite nicely.
Makotokat
Member # 1041

How's this.....

-

OverRon
Member # 2036

The grid lines look much better in this one, although the name/registry looks a little on the skinny side. Now if you had the font thickness of the first texture with these grid lines it'd look perfect.
Makotokat
Member # 1041

Added a few windows.....
 -

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Revisiting......finding old files......
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weird. I was just thinking a couple days ago that we never see any 3D CGI ship modelling around here anymore.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps