Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Korolev attempt (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: USS Korolev attempt
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vektor kicks my ass because I'm a lazy sod at heart. As with all these things, God is in the detail and you need the patience of a saint to sit and make 3D detail down to deeper and deeper levels. I tend to make small models to mid-level detail, mainly cos anything else means I set off making something else with a funkier new shape that has caught my eye. I'm too easily distracted.

This is the new me, however, and I want to make a decent effort at this one. The only large Trek ship I've made was the Bradbury, which I only made as an excersize and never intended to be mega-detailed. It got me noticed by the ASDB guys however and I had to finish it with more detail than the base design could reasonably take and it looks crap because of that. With the Korolev I'm making it as a large ship right from the off, so hopefully we'll get a decent result.

Rev, I am not even looking at details smaller than nacelles and saucers, I need to get the very basics right first before I begin to cut in windoes and hatches. The new picture has the upper decks reaching from the main hull to the saucer and then flaring out, then terminating in a sharper point than my model has. Since it's all one big mesh I cant just redo the top part, I have to go back and redo the entire main hull to get that right, and while I'm at it I'll have to alter the saucer and nacelles. All this as soon as I kick my cousin off E-bay and get my main PC back...

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah you're right, I remember adding that flare because it was looking too straight and Excelsior-ish, though I must have never gotten around to altering the side view.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:

quote:
And lack of modeling skill? As if. You're up there with Vektor as far as I'm concerned.
At the risk of sounding biased I think Kenny is better. Vektor does beautiful work to be sure, but he seams too much of a perfectionist for his own good sometimes. Kenny knows when to declare victory and move on. ;-)
Indeed. Vektor is a fantastic artist, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a model that he'd finished. Sometimes it's hard to know when to leave a piece alone and be done with it, but it's better than having lots of half finished works.

Anyway, I've always preferred the subjects Axeman's worked on, from the Starfleet wheeled transport that I think was part of a TBBS comp, to Sternach's Type-6 shuttle concept. Lots of exciting small projects can be more impressive than one huge project that's probably too big for anyone to render and with minute details that most people won't appreciate.

Come to think of it, I should really take my own advice.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here. I think I've sorted most of the alignment issues and am about half way to figuring out a satisfying design for the impulse engines. Having a hard time sussing out how that splayed out upper hull looks from the side, compound curves are always a bastard.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the things on the nacelle pylons (ventral view)?
Look like windows -which would be cool to have observation lounges on the nacelle pylon tops.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I refer the right honourable gentleman to the comment I made not 14 hours ago.

And it's a dorsal view, not ventral.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think those plasma/window things are going to have to be rethought anyway. Look at the curve on the pylon, and how thin it is. If I try to cut a flat, square indent into that it's going to either go almost right through or look very odd indeed.

As fo a little observation window, you could perhaps stick one on the foreward section of the part that joins the pylon to the nacelle, rather like the front cab of a Zeppelin.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

Here we go, almost back to where we started. The new drawings differ somewhat in the proportions compared to the ones I was using, so I had to remake everything except the nacelles, which I managed to edit.

The nacelles are now longer and thinner, the body proportions have been altered and the flare added to the top section that meshes with the saucer. The rear section is now straight instead of tapered, but the front section where the deflector will be will need a lot of work. The body itself will need tapered inwards at the bottom as well, since right now it's basically straight up and down at the sides. The saucer itself I also had to remake as the proportions had changed on that too.

-
 -
 -

--------------------

Micromaniac
Member # 546

- posted      Profile for Micromaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This fellow is making some of the unknowns from First Contact and others - here is the link to his photo page - comments http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/pauly1972_photos/?start=all
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy crap! Why haven't we seen this before? Not only does this guy have a FC concept drawing that IIRC no one has ever seen before (U.S.S. Criterion), but his models are friggin' awesome! He even makes the DS9 kitbashes look beautiful. I can't wait until he paints them. (Sorry Reverend, I don't mean to take this thread off-topic, but...just look at his page)
Micromaniac
Member # 546

- posted      Profile for Micromaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No he does not have any info other that the artists sketch for the battle in First Contact. I agree his stuff looks good and it is 1/1400 scale. Too bad he is in Australia and doesnt make resin copies of these as I am surethey would sell.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

That's great, but it doesn't have anything to do what what Kenny is doing here, so kindly start a new thread. Cheers.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

I have to say I wondered why Micromaniac posted a page full of tiny models in here. I thought he'd got the wrong thread.

No updates right now, spent last night travelling to a dark site and raking the skies with my telescopes and a few mates. I have restarted the nacelle to make it rounder and more integrated, I'll post updates when I can.

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good work, Kenny! You got the proportions right.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Micromaniac
Member # 546

Sorry guys I wasnt sure I could start a new thread .
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.