Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Korolev attempt (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: USS Korolev attempt
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twin bay doors on each, eh? Good to know. And you want to have the split go partway up the rear section as well? Ok, might make it a little harder but should be do-able, and will certainly mark it out as a more original design.

The main body is a bit convoluted, but is looking interesting. As usual there are lots of minor discrepancies between one view and another, but its to be expected when working the way you do. I just try to figure out what you meant and usually we're ok. I assign a hierarchy to the drawings usually, with the side view taking precedence, then the top view, front and rear. Shapes on the side view outrank shapes on the bottom view, etc.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I decided both those changes as I was drawing them, as is often the case. I've just now added in the impulse engines and now the whole aft view gives you the odd sensation of seeing double, with the two double doors and the double decker impulse blocks. Lucky this thing isn't a 4 naceller!
With the split, what's supposed to happen is that it gets shallower the further up it goes until blends in. If that makes any sense.

And yes, drawing ships this way is like trying to solve a rubix cube. Just when you think you've got one side done right and go on to solve the next one, you find you've buggered up what you did on the first one. It's a real 3 steps forwards, two and a half steps back approach. Joyous.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean about the cut-out, it'll blend in before the curve flattens out into the area where the yacht is located.

I'm going to dive on the PC now and get an hour or so of work on the main body before Top Gear comes on, and if the weather doesn't improve I wont be out with my telescopes tonight and I'll probably complete it.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

Here we go, first attempt at the main body in detail. I also altered the nacelles as asked. The deflector cut-out is just a placeholder to see how it looks, and I haven't extended the ventral cut up the rear underside yet, I'll get to that tomorrow.

-
 -

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, looking good so far. You seam to have the gist of the design down pretty well.
Actually, looking at that aft view I'm wondering it really needs such bulky impulse engines...what do you think? Big chunky buggers, or something more discreet, like the E-D's saucer engines?

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Here, what do you think - chunky, or non-chunky?

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

The chunky ones look like overkill, even the old Enterprises only had tiny impulse engines in comparison to their size. My preference would be for the cut-in ones, although perhaps they could be slightly larger to look more like early versions of the Galaxy class ones?

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I tend to agree, non-chunky it is!

As for the size, I've already made them proportionally about twice as high as the E-D's engines, so I think it's fine as is. Remember, both the Galaxy & the Ambassador ran on just the one small-ish engine at the neck.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

Actually I haven't seen any good details or drawings on the Ambassador class, I had no idea where its main impulse drive was. I loved the original painting however, with all the black detailing and swoopier lines. that was a really graceful looking ship, not the squat thing the picked in the end.

I'll try and work up the impulse engines and the deflector proper tonight, assuming I dont drop dead at the baminton tonight.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ambassador had its impulse engine on the neck, same as the Galaxy. Check screenshots of "Yesterday's Enterprise," IIRC the very beginning of act one had a good close shot of the rear.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Here's our Bernd's gallery of Ambassador related images, if it's of any help.

If you like the original Ambassador concept then have a look at this. The man himself is doing a mesh of that very design. For the record, I had always intended to draw this design up and propose it as the Andromeda-Class. No disrespect to the existing ASDB design, of course.

In other news, I've added some more detailing to the 2D views.

Including a new bridge module.
 -

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

Looking good, I like the additional detail on the saucer section in particular. Looking at the Ambassador I wonder if we shouldn't have went with compression rings which only partially go around the nacelle. In the Ambassador they are buried in the nacelle with just a portion at each side exposed. I think it might look cool to have something similar, but with more of the ring exposed, just not all the way.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Good idea, I'll have a bash at it tomorrow.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

Here's tonights update. That deflector idea just isn't working, the cutout on the current one is about as close to it as I can get. If I make the shape as seen from the front the cutout looks absolutely horrendous from the side.

-
 -

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Bugger. Well, e-mail me some close-up shots of what you've done and I'll see if I can't find a solution.
I'm willing to settle for a less than pretty side view, if the design can be preserved.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps