Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Korolev attempt (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: USS Korolev attempt
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to put it in simple terms for the Yanks and the Mounties; Kenny looks and sounds like this, while I look and sound like this, get it eh?

As for the Deflector Kenny, yeah, if it was a simple and easy design it wouldn't look as good. [Wink]

As far as the lateral sensors go, I think cramming that gap full of tiny greeblies would be too much of a pain and wouldn't suit the aesthetics. Better to just put in some regular vertical lines and say the sensors are behind all those sensor transparant panels.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a surprisingly accurate cartoon, apart from me not being ginger. Half my family are, but not me.

The process is to slowly add more and more detail as we solidify the different parts of the model. The hard part is knowing when to stop.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go, got an hour at it tonight. Tweaked the nacelles to better fit the original drawings, started adding the phaser strips and hull detailing.

-
 -

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and along came Reverend with an updated set of drawings.

Still needs work on the fore and aft views, but everything else is close enough to done.
Note that I've added some cut-ins and airlocks on the upper saucer structure. Added some cut-outs to the saucer to accommodate the forward, port and starboard docking ports, added some lateral sensors to the secondary hull (near the top) and I've re-designed the ventral sensor array.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

Ta very much.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Welcome....exactly how much hassle did I just cause you? I like to keep score. [Wink]

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

I'm awfully out of practice, thats all. I can barely remember how to do a phaser strip.

Incidentally, didn't someone here once post a picture that had all the colour samples from Starfleet ships and there uses? I used to have it but lost it when my main drive died a while back, it was a very handy colour chart for making these models.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Me too mate, haven't done plans like these in years!
Luckily though I still have all my old swatches and gradients. Though I'm not sure how well my colors would translate to a 3D model.

P.S. If you need any extra high-res closeups of certain details, just let me know. Most of them should hold up under close scrutiny.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

When did we change the entire shape and proportions of the saucer, along with the phaser positions? Dammit, just spent the last two hours rebuilding the saucer from scratch. I'll probably have to rebuild the main hull as well now to fit again, giving me a chance to get that damn deflector right. Ah well, here we go again...

-

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I'll own up to the phasers, I had to move them to make room for the windows and the ventral cargo lifts, but the saucer? I didn't think I'd touched it, other than to correct some symmetry problems on the fore and aft views.
Anyway, I'll try and knock up an easier design for the deflector array at some point today, maybe even a few alternative designs and pick which works best.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

P.S. I think I found that colour chart you were after.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

It came as a bit of a surprise to me to, I loaded in your latest pictures to cut in the windows and found the lower bulge was now much wider than before. If I tried to cut in the windows on the sides it wouldn't work, since on my model there was no bulge there. I'm used to different views not matching up, that's normal, but when I noticed the bulge and then the phasers I figured you'd done it intentionally as a redesign.

I'll keep working on detailing the saucer if you promise to leave the bloody thing alone and concentrate on the body. Once you've got a deflector design we can all live with I'll redo the main body and incorporate your latest tweaks at that time.

Consider the saucer finished from a design point of view, the nacelles can be tweaked since they're not too difficult to rebuild, and the body can be worked on until I rebuild the mesh.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I swear those lines move when I'm not looking. I had a hell of a time trying to keep the Deneva consistent!

As far as I'm concerned the overall hull shape is "Locked". I'll only be fiddling with the details from here on out, except the deflector of course.

Speaking of which; brace yourself.

Deflector concept Mk2
Deflector concept cross-section

What do you think? Too complicated?
For those who are unaware, it's a combination of the original Probert Ambassador study and the design of the Galaxy's own dish.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

It looks sort of do-able, although the ventral cut-out that leads up to the deflector may pose a bit of a problem. I'll give it a try tonight if I get any peace.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

See what you can do with it. I'll see if I can sort out some higher res blueprints and maybe an exploded view. I'd do it now but I'm installing Half Life2: EP2 & Portal...then I shall be otherwise engaged for the evening. [Wink]

Oh yeah and speaking of colour, would it not be wise to match this to whatever settings you used on the IAV-106 yacht? Lest it not match when it comes time to dock?

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps