Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » TAS Shuttlecraft Copernicus

Author Topic: TAS Shuttlecraft Copernicus
aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Reverend and several others here have explored the TAS shuttlcreaft designs, I thought I'd post this here to see what advice you folks might be able to provide.

Here is my take on the shuttlecraft Copernicus from the TAS episode "The Slaver Weapon". My idea was to consult the shuttlecraft art of Matt Jefferies, the car designs of Galileo builder Gene Winfield, and my own sense of what seemed "right". I've reworked the design using stylistic touches garnered from Winfield's "Reactor" (which itself appeared as the "Jupiter 8" in "Bread and Circuses"). I've also consulted TMP designs like the tram and tried to include little bits here and there. I've tried to blend it all into a sensible design -- something I wasn't sure when I was starting out was possible and still be able to retain any link to the TAS ship.

Anyhow, here it is. You be the judge if it would work in 3D. The scale depends on how big you want to make the Galileo, which is included for reference:

-

-

-

You can click on the images for larger versions of the files. Comments are welcome -- it's a work in progress, of course.

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool! So what does it have that the standard shuttle doesn't, except for a 60s Caddie shape?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only problem I have with this design is that it's a shuttle craft. By that I mean without the warp engines, it'd make a perfectly plausible hovercraft/atmospheric shuttle. With the engines, it looks silly.
So what I'd do is one of two things, either (1) Loose the nacelles altogether, or (2) Change their attachment points to, say those outboard pylons, or maybe tuck them under, either side of the chassis.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should mention that I would never have laid out a design like that. It is the silliness of the look...

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/tas-copernicus.jpg

...that made me reject the thing altogether when I did that cross section of the TOS Enterprise, and instead include Jefferies' original shuttle as a complement of the Galileo:

-

But I saw others trying to make this design work, and I thought I'd try. I don't necessarily think mine is any less silly, just more stylishly silly.

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, when I dabbled in TAS shuttles I did look at this one and just discounted it as a bad design.
However, what you've done is fine, just whip off those nacelles and call it an atmospheric shuttle. There's no law that says you have to be slavish to the original design, feel free to make your own adjustments.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're then still left with the challenge of interpreting the long range, high interior volume warp speed auxiliary craft of "The Slaver Weapon"...

Something like Mark Wilson's companions to the Hopi (that is, a minimal reworking of the bow contours and windows) would work just fine, as long as we assume it's big enough. There's no real need for our hero ship to "accommodate" such oversized shuttles aboard; rather, they might be part of the ship's complement but not regularly shipped, much like the aquashuttle, or like the various auxiliaries that Cousteau's Calypso carried on as-needed basis. Probably every major starbase would have such craft in stock, and they could quickly be painted in the colors of the starship that needs them that particular week.

I rather dig the angular, multi-partitioned interiors shown in the episode - possibly hiding a lot of functionality within the side walls, such as fold-out bunks and storage compartments, or slide-out transverse bulkheads. And I find it an interesting challenge to construct a working stern structure that (roughly) matches the exterior view but also allows for the full-width aft door as seen in the close-up. Even the magically disappearing sliding doors could be made to work plausibly with a little imagination. Which, I guess, is the most important ingredient in these exercises.

Oh, and I do like the sportscar look of that shuttle, aridas! It's just that I'm fond of the original concept, too, and would like to see it salvaged somehow.

Timo Saloniemi

aridas
Member # 1051

I guess I was going for something that had a little bit of this in it...

-

Instead of being so overtly boxy. Sort of this early Jefferies shuttlecraft design's little brother.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps